jb weld on trim fitting?

pxlxr

Cadet
I made my first really stupid repair mistake on my MC 120 outdrive. After 5-6 hours of trying to thread the trim hose into the connecting block, I gave up and just reefed it down cross-threaded, hoping it would hold. It didn't hold. Then I tried to re-tap it. Now it wobbles in the threads. I bought a new connecting block, but the trouble is, I can't get to the lock nut inside the transom (no way, no how) to replace the old one. My marine mechanic friend tells me there is no way it comes out with the motor still in.

How silly is it to think I can slap some JB Weld or Marine Tex around the threads and fitting? I really don't want to pull the motor for this if a simple fix has a decent chance of holding.DSC00514b.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: jb weld on trim fitting?

Not a snow balls chance in .............. well, let's just say it won't work.

The engines aren't that hard to get out. If you have a way to lift it, an hour at most and it's out.

pxlxr

Cadet

I was afraid of that. Looking like a full resto, if I'm gonna hafta remove the heart anyway.

Thanks, Don.

scoflaw

Ensign

Looks like your old fitting is brass, you just might be able to braze a fitting into the stripped hole.

Don S

Looks like your old fitting is brass, you just might be able to braze a fitting into the stripped hole.

Ever try to braze stainless steel fitting and line to a brass fitting? In tight quarters with oily parts?

scoflaw

Ensign

Forget the stainless and line, get a brass brake line fitting, 1/8 inch by the looks of it. Who pulls motors in an hour? Takes me that long to wiggle myself in there with some wrenches

Bondo

Staff member

Who pulls motors in an hour?

Ayuh,... Yer right, that's pretty slow.....

If ya can get to it, that brass fitting oughta come out with a 12 point socket...

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just kinda thinking out loud here... But can you drill it out larger, tap it, and use an adapter back down to original size?

cr2k

Captain

Who takes an hour to pull the motor? 20-30 min tops!

Don S

Who takes an hour to pull the motor? 20-30 min tops!

Not everyone starts the timer after they get the boat in place, and the ladder set up, and the tools on the boat, trouble light hooked up, engine cover off and out of the way, seats out of the way, nor do they have air tools. And not all engines are that easy to get to.
That's what gets people into trouble with a shops quote. That quote has go cover the time needed to do the complete job.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

That quote has go cover the time needed to do the complete job.

amen...

thats why most shops quote an 8 hour flat rate for removal/install and testing for a motor pull

ive pulled motors that took 30 mins to unhook and pull, after 3 hours of removing, seats, bolsters, 200 lb engine hatches, etc...

to o.p. : search the forum for engine removal, you will find some interesting ways folks have pulled motors here, keep in mind safety first

and this is a great time to do some tlc on other areas/parts that are difficult or impossible to reach with the motor in place

achris

More fish than mountain goat

dubs283 said:
Sometimes when people try to save a penny, they end up spending a dollar.

It is best to fully understand how to properly operate, inspect, troubleshoot and repair your equipment

Man I love this... Especially the first part. So many come here looking for the 'cheap' way of doing a job, and then get all bent out of shape when they get told to do it the right way the first time....

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When they tell me (the customer worked on it) i just feel like going home

achris

would a heli coil work for him here Don ?

Heli-coil (or any sort of thread repair) will not work because the pipe seals at the bottom of the hole. The only way to fix this properly is to replace it. Remember there is 3,000 psi of oil pressure in those lines.

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh I didnt realize that. It looks like the fitting unthreads from there is this not true? Or is there not enough room to do that?

fishrdan

Admiral

Here's something that might work. Take a brass NPT to flare adapter fitting and JBweld that into the stripped hole. I'm not sure you have enough room to do that with the hard lines, and get the hard line connected to the new fitting again...........

achris

Here's something that might work. Take a brass NPT to flare adapter fitting and JBweld that into the stripped hole. I'm not sure you have enough room to do that with the hard lines, and get the hard line connected to the new fitting again...........

Will JBweld hold 3,000psi?

fishrdan

Admiral

I think it would, but I'm not under the impression that he will be JBwelding into a smooth hole, he'll be using it more as a sealant. The OP said the flare fitting is now loose in the tapped hole, so threads are still there. Since NPT is a tapered thread, it should dig in and tighten as it's wrenched tight.

Getting the hard line to align with the new fitting is going to be a real PITA though.......