Bypass kill switch?

Smiley2

Cadet
How do you bypass the kill switch 87 Mercruiser 3.0 litre 140 horse?<br />Have new coil, alternator, starter, plugs, dist cap, carb, fuel pump.<br />How direct wire from ignition to starter solenoid? From Tach?<br />My wire colors don't match the Seloc repair manual for Mercruiser Stern drives.<br />I have purple, tan, grey not on the wiring harness they show

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bypass kill switch?

Disconnect the wires from the switch and hook them together.<br />All the switch does is stops power to the ignition. By spicing the wires together, you bypass the switch completely.

novabrg

Cadet

is there a reason that bypassing the kill switch would be a bad idea other than maybe the obvious safty issues - thinking i may be having trouble with mine

novabrg

Cadet

is there a reason that bypassing the kill switch would be a bad idea other than maybe the obvious safty issues - thinking i may be having trouble with mine

tommays

Admiral

i would only do it long enough to decide its bad and then put it back correctly<br /><br />tommays

vipzach

Lieutenant

I agree with tom, only do it to confirm what you think is bad and replace if needed. It is a safety thing, but my boat doen't even have one.