alpha 1 shift cable adjustment.. help

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: alpha 1 shift cable adjustment.. help

My shift plate has the nutted pins. Not sure what cables (OEM or aftermarket) were on my old boat, but I'm using the same MC1 drive, shift plate and engine in my newer boat, and had to use the "Bic shim" so the cables fit snug. I used Mercruiser/Quicksilver GenII cables on the new(er) boat and they had the same slop as the old cables, Bis shim solved that.

I thought it was odd that there was so much slop between the shift cable and anchor pins, and that it was WAY too much. Don't know why it's like that on my shift plate, but it is.

Oh yeah, I did the Bic pen shim thing about 10 years ago and it didn't wear out. I figured I could splurge and spend another $.10 if it did, but it didn't :D

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nate, Fishrdan,

Can you post a pic of your fixes. From what I can see on my boat is that the brass barrel on the shift cable, and the slot where the brass barrel slides into is too big. It seems that when the brass barrel is centered in the retainer, there is about 1cm space on each side of the brass barrel and the brass holder walls.

Is this nornal?

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nate, Fishrdan,

Can you post a pic of your fixes. From what I can see on my boat is that the brass barrel on the shift cable, and the slot where the brass barrel slides into is too big. It seems that when the brass barrel is centered in the retainer, there is about 1cm space on each side of the brass barrel and the brass holder walls.

Is this nornal?

I'm assuming you mean millimeter. My guess is that it's a little on the loose side. I won't be able to take a picture for a while, but take some real aluminum a/c duct tape, cut a square of it to the appropriate size, and line the inside of the barrel retainer. Apply as many layers as you need to remove the slop. You also have a couple of studs upon which the cable ends pivot. Give those a wrap of aluminum tape if you have slop between them.

fishrdan

Admiral

the brass barrel on the shift cable, and the slot where the brass barrel slides into is too big.

My fix won't work as it fixes the brass barrel's drilled hole to the shift plate pin looseness, not the barrel fitting into a loose slot. I'd do Nate and achris's aluminum tape fix. I don't have pic's either, would have to tear the cables off to see the shims.