Pulled my Mercruiser 7.4L out of the boat today

tpenfield

Staff member
I pulled my 20 year old Mercruiser 7.4L (454) out of the boat today. It is in need of a top-end rebuild (valves and head gasket), so I thought it would be easier all-round if I pulled the engine.

Here is a photo of the engine safely on the ground ready for tear-down. I did a leak test to see where the problems were prior to pulling the heads. Cylinders 1,2,8 are OK . . . 3,4,7 are leaking via the intake valve . . . 5,6 are leaking via the exhaust valve.

454-Engine-pull%20022.jpg

I still need to remove the exhaust manifolds prior to pulling the heads off. Lots of rust on the exhaust bolts, I will need to drill the heads off a few of them.

Last edited:

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Pulled my Mercruiser 7.4L out of the boat today

Been there, done that! It's much easier than leaving it in the boat.
Do you have a question?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I pulled my 20 year old Mercruiser 7.4L (454) out of the boat today. It is in need of a top-end rebuild (valves and head gasket), so I thought it would be easier all-round if I pulled the engine.

Here is a photo of the engine safely on the ground ready for tear-down. I did a leak test to see where the problems were prior to pulling the heads. Cylinders 1,2,8 are OK . . . 3,4,7 are leaking via the intake valve . . . 5,6 are leaking via the exhaust valve.

454-Engine-pull 022.jpg

I still need to remove the exhaust manifolds prior to pulling the heads off. Lots of rust on the exhaust bolts, I will need to drill the heads off a few of them.

Being a 20 year old engine, since you have her out and re-doing the heads, would it not be adventageous to do the rings, timing chain / gears and lower end also? In the years I have been rebuilding engines ((probably over a hundred (engines, not years) by now)), I have found that older engines tend to need rings shortly after doing the heads. I summize this is due to engine "aging gracefully" as a unit tend to age "less gracefully" after the compression is bumped up by the new valves and head gasket start stressing the capability of the 20 year old rings to accomidate the higher compression.

Getting the motor out and heads off for rebuilding is alot of work and would be a shame if it all had to happen again in the near future if a bearing started making noise or the motor started burning oil / losing compression if the rings gave out under the new stress of having 100% compression.

Just my opinion, I would do a whole re-build. You may discover it even needed new pistons due to an out of spec bore. The minus of this, it can be a little pricey. The plus, you have a brand spanking new engine in the process, built the way YOU want it.

My wife is dreading the day I need to do something major on my 20 year old 454, knowing it will not the same engine when it goes back in. ( Dare I say a few upgrades to make it a little bigger, alot stronger and a tad more powerful). The perfect winter project..................

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, I am considering a complete re-build, but I'm concerned about it becoming too big of a project (labor and $$$).

Once I get the heads off, then that will be the deciding factor. The engine has 540 hours on it, so it is kind of on the edge.

If I were to do rings, then it would make sense to do the camshaft and crankshaft bearings. At that point, it would be worth buying a re-build 'kit'. The thing I worry about is getting an inferior kit that has sub-standard parts.

Anyone have advice on the better brand/source of rebuild kits for a 454 ???

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

First thing you should do is pull the heads so you can inspect cylinder wear.

Then find an excellent auto machine shop to work with. They can do the head work and advise you on rebuilding the rest of the engine. A good quality machine shop will also be familiar with marine engines.

Last time I was rebuilding an inboard/outboard motor, the pistons, connecting rods and bearings were Ford parts--and I didn't have to buy the ridiculously expensive Mercruiser parts. Most internal engine parts are available outside the engine manufacturer.

You'll want to make sure the lower end of the motor is 100% before you waste time and money reassembling and reinstalling this engine. 570 hours is comparable to 30,000 highway miles on a car, so the low end may still be perfectly good. If so, you could always just change rings and go about your day. It comes down to how well maintained your engine has been, and how hard it's been run over the years. That's where quality advice comes in.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it has good ring tension, cylinder walls look ok(no large ridge), bearings look good, I would not be scared to re- run the short block. I would put on a new timing chain. Of course that doesn?t mean you can?t change the cam and lifters also :D

Bondo

Staff member

Once I get the heads off, then that will be the deciding factor. The engine has 540 hours on it, so it is kind of on the edge.

Ayuh,... On the Edge,..??

'ell, unless abused, it's barely broken in....

2,000/ 3,000hrs is on the edge...

tpenfield

Staff member

A few different ideas so far, which I like. I'm thinking that if I plan on replacing the rings, I can get a good look at the crankshaft and piston bearings to see if there is any adverse wear.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I?d start with the center main cap and then the thrust main, from there a couple rod caps. This all can be done without too much taking apart. If you don?t have much experience with this, the caps and bearings MUST go back from where the were taken and use of proper torque specs is imperative. You can post pics of the bearings if needed. (Sorry if you knew all this)
Like Bond-o said, if it was well maintained... oil changed, not overheated, it should be just getting broken in well as far as the rings go.

You did mention valves in your o/p, any piston to valve contact, ie bent valves? Was blown head gasket do to overheating?

tpenfield

Staff member

I?d start with the center main cap and then the thrust main, from there a couple rod caps. This all can be done without too much taking apart. If you don?t have much experience with this, the caps and bearings MUST go back from where the were taken and use of proper torque specs is imperative. You can post pics of the bearings if needed. (Sorry if you knew all this)
Like Bond-o said, if it was well maintained... oil changed, not overheated, it should be just getting broken in well as far as the rings go.

You did mention valves in your o/p, any piston to valve contact, ie bent valves? Was blown head gasket do to overheating?

The engine started to run hot - 180 instead of the normal 155 - I did all the cooling system diagnosis to no avail. If I ran at lower RPM (under 2K), it was fine, at cruising speeds it ran up to 180 and stayed. Idle back down, temp came back down.

This problem came on suddenly. Sooo, I finally did a leak test and got lots of leak on the middle cylinders (3,4,5,6). It appeared that I was getting air up the carb and up the exhaust manifold. I confirmed yesterday that I am getting intake valve leak on 3 cylinders and exhaust valve leak on 2 cylinders. The remaining 3 cylinders are 'OK'. I never was able to confirm the head gasket being blown, so that will have to wait for the the tear-down

The engine has been well cared for (by me) I got the boat with 305 hours and have put on another 235 hours over 7 years.. Rarely do I run it over 3800 RPM, Change the oil every 50 hours or seasonally, no abuse or things like that. So, I am expecting the bottom end to be in good shape.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I am considering a complete re-build, but I'm concerned about it becoming too big of a project (labor and $$$).

If I were to do rings, then it would make sense to do the camshaft and crankshaft bearings. At that point, it would be worth buying a re-build 'kit'. The thing I worry about is getting an inferior kit that has sub-standard parts.

Anyone have advice on the better brand/source of rebuild kits for a 454 ???

All the "GOOD STUFF" for BBC's. Even marine rated parts.

http://www.jegs.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ted
Good job on being aware of your gauges. Was the motor otherwise running well, except the temp? What method did you use for the leakdown test? 180deg is not hot enough to hurt anything so i bet if it was running well otherwise your short block might check out fine.

p.s. I have always liked those Formula hulls they handle H/P upgades well i bet, sure would be tempting.

Last edited: