5.7 ltr mercruiser. Fuel wont stop squirting from over flow hose going to carb?

burke1

Cadet
Pulled off over flow hose that burns access fuel in carburator. When motor runs it constintly squirts fuel into carb making engine run bad. Pulled hose off and motor runs great. What would make gas come out of there at a steady flow? Changed water seperater thought maybe it was clogged but still did it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 ltr mercruiser. Fuel wont stop squirting from over flow hose going to carb?

Your fuel pump is Junk, replace it.

burke1

Cadet
Re: 5.7 ltr mercruiser. Fuel wont stop squirting from over flow hose going to carb?

hmmm. Is there a batter in there that went bad?

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Look and you will see the other end of that hose goes to the fuel pump. If the pump develops an internal leak it dumps the leaking fuel into the carb instead of in the bilge. Replace the pump and be sure to use a marine type. There are several aftermarket ones so you don't necessarily have to buy one from mercury. I believe even Napa carries them. MARINE ONLY!

Bondo

Staff member

Pulled hose off and motor runs great.

Ayuh,.... What'd ya do with the hose,..??

Was it still squirtin' gas,..??

burke1

Cadet

I was out 12 miles in the gulf. It had a clear tube running to the carb and i saw gas running through it so i pulled it off and stuck a screw driver in it and left the hatch open and idiled back in and killed the rest of my 12 pack lol ****ty day had some hot girls out with me to.