1996 7.4 Mando Alternator with 5 wires

dtroglio

Recruit
ok, I give, I have a 1996 7.4 carb bravo 3 Gen VI, with a Mando AC155603 55 amp alternator with 5 wires. I've seen a bunch of posts for 4 wire configurations, but not 5 wires. my wires are purple, purple/stripe, orange, black, and a small black with a "push on" plug. I know where the four major wires go, but where does the black with the push on cap go? Yea I know, label them first, but I was standing on my head just to get to the alternator

I've seen a bunch of posts referencing the "adults only" site to download manuals and reference material but I can't seem to find where it is located.

Any help would be appreciated

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 7.4 Mando Alternator with 5 wires

Hello, welcome to iboats. "Adults Only" post is the first one on the page. Lots of good info there. Good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

Attachments

• altwire.jpg
    altwire.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 12

dtroglio

Recruit

Excuse me if this hits twice.

Thanks Don S, I am viewing the picture, and I see a line at the 10 o'clock position but no description. My wires are orange, black, purple, red/purple, and the black with a "push on" cap. It is this wire I am questioning. I believe it may just be a "case ground", but I do not want to attach it to one of the posts and short out the alternator.

I am presently waiting for the technician to call with the status of the alternator. It seems a 55 amp alternator is pretty small for a modern express cruiser. If the alternator cannot be repaired, can I upgrade to a larger capacity alternator, and if so how big would you suggest, and what else would have to be changed to make the substitution work?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am viewing the picture, and I see a line at the 10 o'clock position but no description.
It's an AC tap, and not used for your setup, that's why I didn't put anything there.

What your extra black wire is for, I have no clue. It may not even go to the alternator.
Grounds are grounds. The ground terminal on the alternator grounds the case.

As far as alt size, that depends on battery bank size, and electrical requirements for your boats accessories.
Not all "Express Cruisers" are the same.
Might want to post a question over in the electrical forum with a list of accessories, and battery bank size for other thoughts on the subject.