PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK RTV SILICONE ????

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been reading some of the questions and answers on the //boatfix forum. Many questions being asked on what to use with youre riser gaskets in order to keep them sealed. A high number of responses say they wouldnt use anything besides Permatex Ultra Black Rtv Silicone. Looking for some opinions on this stuff!! I know that many say not to use anything but the gaskets.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK RTV SILICONE ????

Some gaskets have stuff on them that makes sealant un-necessary. The older ones- I use Merc Perfect seal.

Laddies

Banned

Mercruiser says no sealant on exhaust gaskets

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had excelent luck using it on oil sealing applications such as intake corners, rocker covers, oil pan end seals, etc. I don't have any experience on riser gaskets but I think the manufacture recomendations(what Bob says)would be best.

Bondo

Staff member

I Think Geo bought a Train Load of that a couple years ago..............<br /><br />It's been the Best Thing since Sliced Bread,.. Ever Since................. :D

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is it good enough to use on risers, I no the exhaust gaskets go on dry.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!<br />Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!<br />Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!<br />Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!<br /><br />If I haven't made myself clear, Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!<br /><br />Chris.............

KaGee

Admiral

Ultra-Black is good for a lot of applications... just not risers!.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

What did you say Chris.....Keith was talking about Duct Tape. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I personnaly love silly cone. I think they should sell a lot more of it. I always tell the guys at NAPA to push it. I make a lot of money repairing the problems silly cone causes. if the merc riser gaskets are a shiney slippery gray colored use no sealer. if they are non-merc and plain paper, use perfect seal between the riser and the manifold,after proper surface prep and checking the riser/manifold mounting surfaces for warpage. .004" is max allowed. on the new style volvo metal shim gaskets no sealer is used .<br /> silly cone universally leaks at that joint. always.<br /> silly cone may have a use for intake seals with proper surface prep but not much else on a marine application.

Ralph 123

Captain

In case there is any doubt at all (and why would there be at this point)<br /><br />I just replaced the manifolds, spacers and elbows on my cousins Merc 1997. 5.7L Here is what an "important service bulletin" said with the spacers (riser): "Gaskets: The installer should remove all paint from the gasket surfaces before assembly...Gaskets should be installed dry. Do not use gasket sealers, silicones or compounds."<br /><br />They also say not to use thread sealant that contains Teflon for the pipe plugs and fitting. Any one know why? Are they afraid they'll back out over time with the Teflon?

tommays

Admiral

teflon allows things to become much tighter at the correct torque <br /><br />at say 15 ft pounds a fitting with teflon will go in a lot more turns than a regular sealer and if you dont no when to stop it can pop<br /><br />personaly i use it everyday on steam pipes and get far less leaks but its real easy to make even 2" npt to tight and crack the fitting your puting the pipe into<br /><br /><br />tommays

DHPMARINE

Captain

Not sure which,but did Sierra or Napa come out with 5 gallon buckets of RV sillicone ?<br /><br />DHP

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Not sure which,but did Sierra or Napa come out with 5 gallon buckets of RV sillicone ?<br /><br />DHP <br />
Also avaliably with accessory kit which includes;<br />Electric 3Phase 10hp High Volume Pump<br />12ft of 1 inch Industrial Supply Hose<br />One, 1/2 inch id Dripless Applicator Nozzel with Manuel Control Squeeze Trigger<br /><br />All this and more just for the professional in your family. <br /><br /> :D :D

Trent

Captain

If your worried about it Locktite 518 would work good.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i hate to do this to myself but i put some silicone black on my volvo head gasket and manifold gasket the other day when i did them. is this bad? i dont have any leaks but could it cause leaks into my block?

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ralph said-<br />
They also say not to use thread sealant that contains Teflon for the pipe plugs and fitting. Any one know why? Are they afraid they'll back out over time with the Teflon?<br />
Too many people have cracked their cast iron when pushing in pipe plugs with teflon on them. Pipe plugs and fittings are tapered threads, and the further you push them in the more stress you put on the iron surrounding them. Iron is very strong, but not very flexible in this regard. IF you drive a wedge into it deep enough it will eventually crack, I guarrantee it. <br /><br />And universally, folks who crack their manifolds and risers this way want a free replacement...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The only thing I would ever use on a riser gasket is a spray on sealant called Hi Tack,I think it is made by permatex.It is a very thin film that kind of works like a glue to make a seal.Spoke to Osco rep and though they state no sealant,they did say hi tach would be fine.Charlie