No announcement yet.

PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK RTV SILICONE ????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK RTV SILICONE ????

I have been reading some of the questions and answers on the //boatfix forum. Many questions being asked on what to use with youre riser gaskets in order to keep them sealed. A high number of responses say they wouldnt use anything besides Permatex Ultra Black Rtv Silicone. Looking for some opinions on this stuff!! I know that many say not to use anything but the gaskets.

Re: PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK RTV SILICONE ????

Some gaskets have stuff on them that makes sealant un-necessary. The older ones- I use Merc Perfect seal.
    Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Comment

Mercruiser says no sealant on exhaust gaskets

Comment

I've had excelent luck using it on oil sealing applications such as intake corners, rocker covers, oil pan end seals, etc. I don't have any experience on riser gaskets but I think the manufacture recomendations(what Bob says)would be best.

Comment

I Think Geo bought a Train Load of that a couple years ago..............It's been the Best Thing since Sliced Bread,.. Ever Since.................

Comment

Is it good enough to use on risers, I no the exhaust gaskets go on dry.

Comment

Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!If I haven't made myself clear, Elbow/riser gaskets go on dry!Chris.............
              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Ultra-Black is good for a lot of applications... just not risers!.
                sigpicIf it were easy, any Caveman could do it.

Comment

What did you say Chris.....Keith was talking about Duct Tape.

Comment

I personnaly love silly cone. I think they should sell a lot more of it. I always tell the guys at NAPA to push it. I make a lot of money repairing the problems silly cone causes. if the merc riser gaskets are a shiney slippery gray colored use no sealer. if they are non-merc and plain paper, use perfect seal between the riser and the manifold,after proper surface prep and checking the riser/manifold mounting surfaces for warpage. .004" is max allowed. on the new style volvo metal shim gaskets no sealer is used . silly cone universally leaks at that joint. always. silly cone may have a use for intake seals with proper surface prep but not much else on a marine application.
                    no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

In case there is any doubt at all (and why would there be at this point)I just replaced the manifolds, spacers and elbows on my cousins Merc 1997. 5.7L Here is what an "important service bulletin" said with the spacers (riser): "Gaskets: The installer should remove all paint from the gasket surfaces before assembly...Gaskets should be installed dry. Do not use gasket sealers, silicones or compounds."They also say not to use thread sealant that contains Teflon for the pipe plugs and fitting. Any one know why? Are they afraid they'll back out over time with the Teflon?

Comment

teflon allows things to become much tighter at the correct torque at say 15 ft pounds a fitting with teflon will go in a lot more turns than a regular sealer and if you dont no when to stop it can poppersonaly i use it everyday on steam pipes and get far less leaks but its real easy to make even 2" npt to tight and crack the fitting your puting the pipe intotommays
                        If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
                        http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
                        1981 J24 Tangent 2930
                        http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
                        Tommays
                        Northport Ny

Comment

Not sure which,but did Sierra or Napa come out with 5 gallon buckets of RV sillicone ?DHP

Comment

Not sure which,but did Sierra or Napa come out with 5 gallon buckets of RV sillicone ?DHP
                            Also avaliably with accessory kit which includes;Electric 3Phase 10hp High Volume Pump12ft of 1 inch Industrial Supply HoseOne, 1/2 inch id Dripless Applicator Nozzel with Manuel Control Squeeze TriggerAll this and more just for the professional in your family.
                            Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
                            If you want it....Wait
                            If you have it....Flaunt it

Comment

If your worried about it Locktite 518 would work good.

Comment

Working...
                              X