Oil coming out of the dipstick tube

phantom2006

Recruit
I have a 4.3L V6 merc and I am getting oil out of the dipstick tube. I have 160 to 170 compresion on all cylinders. There is no water in the oil. Any ideas?

dlplost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil coming out of the dipstick tube

PCV....
Positive
Crankcase
Ventilation

Sorry, i just had to do that..

projectcop

Seaman Apprentice

As previously posted....PCV valve. Pull the valve off and holding it by each open end, shake it lightly back and forth. If you can not hear the metal ball rattling back and forth, change it out.

Another thing that would cause this is if the engine was FULL. I mean full of oil; oil and fuel or oil and water. You already stated there was no water....................
Is the oil very black and does it smell like fuel?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

cracked dipstick tube
overfilled and aerated the oil, check and adjust oil level
excessive blow-by , check with leakdown test
you dont list a year, may not have a real pvc valve, just open tubes going to the flame arrestor.

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you sure it has PCV's. Boat generally do not have them.

phantom2006

Recruit

I have a 4.3L V6 merc and I am getting oil out of the dipstick tube. I have 160 to 170 compresion on all cylinders. There is no water in the oil. Any ideas?

The boat is a 2006 with less than 100 hours on the motor. The pcv valve is just a tube. The oil is black and does not smell like gas. I did put the dipstick back in tight and it still leaks out the top of the tube. It only does it when the boat is ran at high rpms. It does need an oil change but I would think that would not be the problem.