How to clean spark arrestor

Jimbobo22

Recruit
How does everyone clean their spark arrestor for those with carburated engines. I tried using compressed air and it did not really do the job.<br />Should I soke it in a solvent?<br /><br />Thanks for any help.<br />Jim<br />5.7L 270 HP tow motor.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to clean spark arrestor

I soak mine in gas, blow out with compressed air & let it dry thoroghly before re-installing.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Solvent works.We have a cleaning tank at the shop,so we soak them before the compressed air.<br /><br />DHP

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used mineral spirits, a bit safer than gas, & seemed to work fine. Surprised at how much gunk ended up at the bottom of the pan I soaked it in. Weird how the gunk was totally separated from the mineral spirits, I poured the mineral spirits off into a jar & it looked like new.

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just sprayed mine with carb/choke cleaner

Jimbobo22

Recruit

thanks guys for the tips. this forum is great.<br /><br />jim

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always done what blackz3 suggests...use spray carb & choke cleaner, an easy 5 minute job. I do mine at end of season durin winterization and once mid season. Keep the can on-board and do a clean-up while relaxing with a cold one...

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use a cleaner they make for air conditioning coils. Found it at a place that sells appliance parts.<br /><br />Just soak it for a while then hose off. Works beautifully and no problem with flames.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Im with DHP,just did mine this morning in the parts cleaner and finished it off with a can of brakleen to dry it up.Charlie

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use simple green then rinse with dishsoap and water and blow dry with compressed air.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Mineral Spirits.........nuff said

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hot soapy water works for me. That's what kitchen sinks for right? :rolleyes:

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tried spray nine and dish soap...thought it was clean till i hit it with carb/choke cleaner...now i know its clean...you will see the difference

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by J.kopec:<br /> I soak mine in gas, blow out with compressed air & let it dry thoroghly before re-installing.
Ditto. :)