Replacing the Water Pump Cam Seals on 1982 Mercruiser 470 -Day One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. Here?s the start. A 1982 Mercruiser 470. I just bought this as is. Don?t know much history other than it overheats at high rpms. I cleaned out the manifold, elbow, replaced the thermostat and the exhaust shutters. Before the test drive I found a coolant leak out the water pump weep hole. So I am now going to replace the 2 cam seals and repair the cam shaft with speedi-seals.
It looks like the alternator upgrade was done in the past.
DSCN3064.JPG
I disconnected battery, drained coolant, etc. The center bolt of the rotor came off easy enough.
DSCN3067.JPG
I removed the alternator, then worked on the front motor mount.
I don?t want to hoist the motor so I?m going to do the repair in place by rigging a hoist across the boat lift supports. It worked well enough to get a 2x6 under the engine to take the support, and I removed the front motor mount.
DSCN3081.JPG
You can see here my attempt to remove the motor with a Harmonic Balancer Remover tool. I saw that the 3 bolts were too long so I threaded a nut onto each before I slipped them through the brace and into the rotor. I didn?t have much room, but thought it would be enough. Unfortunately I didn?t allow for the fact that the 3 bolts would move forward with the rotor as it came off. When it got as far as it would go I realized my mistake. (I was only off by about half an inch).
DSCN3083.JPG
Since you cant reverse this process I had to cut the 3 bolts short with a saws-all. I should have just found shorter bolts to begin with!
Here it is without the rotor cover.
DSCN3085.JPG
The stator looks pretty ratty and rusted. Is that normal? Is it still being used if the alternator was added?
FIRST REAL PROBLEM: You might be able to see in the picture that I removed 3 of the 5 stator allen head bolts. Two of them have the allen socket stripped. I tried vice grips, etc. with no luck. As of now I hit them with PB Blaster to soak through the night. I?ll try to attack them tomorrow. Any suggestions? I have some bolt extractors, but those suckers are really frozen.
More later. I'll post a "Day Two".

Re: Replacing the Water Pump Cam Seals on 1982 Mercruiser 470 -Day One

You can leave it off if your running a belt driven alternator. How about a larger size allen socket hit on maybe will go on then use a ratchet to remove. Or maybe a regular socket to bite the outside of the head of the bolt, would also have to be hit on with a hammer.

If the pb doesn't work you could always try drill off the bolt head or a hand grinder to remove the head of the bolt and then the bolt will now be a stud. Try removing the stud after with more room to get in there. Not sure what you got for clearance but doesn't look like much.

Just a couple of ideas that came to me.
Good Luck

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

If they don't come out of the block itself, I don't see why you couldn't cut them off flush and leave them in. But they'll probably come out with vice grips once you drill off the heads.

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice

I have extractors that work on the head, and ones that work on a drilled hole, so I'l get them off somehow. I like the cut/grind off the head idea. How much of a balancing issue do I have though? If I leave the stator wheel off entirely will that hurt the balance, or cause a problem by creating a space on the cam that was previously filled? It does have a belt driven alternator with one wire attached going to the voltage regulator. There are two wires coming out of the stator going to the voltage regulator. Do I need them? (The two stator wires go to different terminals than the alternator wire on the VR).
It would be cool if I could just leave the whole thing off! Thanks for the help!

natemoore

I have extractors that work on the head, and ones that work on a drilled hole, so I'l get them off somehow. I like the cut/grind off the head idea. How much of a balancing issue do I have though? If I leave the stator wheel off entirely will that hurt the balance, or cause a problem by creating a space on the cam that was previously filled? It does have a belt driven alternator with one wire attached going to the voltage regulator. There are two wires coming out of the stator going to the voltage regulator. Do I need them? (The two stator wires go to different terminals than the alternator wire on the VR).
It would be cool if I could just leave the whole thing off! Thanks for the help!

I pulled my stator off and tried to sell it on ebay, eventually tossing it in the trash. I think it's common practice to remove them, if practicable, when upgrading to alternator. If you leave it on, cap off those stator wires.

I also removed the water-cooled VR since it was malfunctioning. I'm not sure why you still need it with the add-on alternator .

There is no balance issue because the stator is stationary, it is bolted to the front cover around the crankshaft not the camshaft. I pulled mine off and sold it on fleabay, and put the money toward the cost, I didn't wire my new alt thru the existing regulator though, my regulator is bare. You should be able to remove the large yellow wires from the stator off the regulator and not have any problems.

Not sure what your using for a repair manual, but here's a link to the Mercruiser service manual for the engine:
http://www.4shared.com/document/zTbCbkDD/Service_Manual_08.html

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice

Of course it doesn't rotate! I knew that....:). I have the service manual #3 (#8 is for 1985+). OK, the stator and wires are gonna go. The water cooled Voltage Reg. seems to be working. I have found instructions on the alternater conversion kit that say the alternator replaces the stator AND the voltage regulator. Can I remove the VR? It has wires going to the big circuit breaker, etc. I could just get a longer water hose and by-pass the thing.

natemoore

Of course it doesn't rotate! I knew that....:). I have the service manual #3 (#8 is for 1985+). OK, the stator and wires are gonna go. The water cooled Voltage Reg. seems to be working. I have found instructions on the alternater conversion kit that say the alternator replaces the stator AND the voltage regulator. Can I remove the VR? It has wires going to the big circuit breaker, etc. I could just get a longer water hose and by-pass the thing.

That's what I did. Removed the VR completely. Taped off the loose wires remaining. BTW, if your original water cooled VR works properly, you should be able to get a decent amount of money for it on ebay. Mine was putting out 17 volts, so I know it was bad. Not sure how you would test it now with an alternator installed because it has a voltage regulator, too.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Can I remove the VR? It has wires going to the big circuit breaker, etc. I could just get a longer water hose and by-pass the thing.

I would not bother, unless you are going to sell it. You can remove all of the wires from the VR, (both ends).

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice

Where would the one wire coming off the alternator connect to?

vjcthree

Cadet

Can I ask a question on the same topic. I was trying to do the same repair this weekend, I got to the part where I take off the impeller and it will not come off. I have tried everything, It is the impeller with the head shape on it. It is now all stripped and I am not feeling to good about the rest of the way. I am turning the engine when I try to get it off. Should I put the balencer back on and use it to stop the motor from rotating? any help would be great at this point thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Can I ask a question on the same topic. I was trying to do the same repair this weekend, I got to the part where I take off the impeller and it will not come off. I have tried everything, It is the impeller with the head shape on it. It is now all stripped and I am not feeling to good about the rest of the way. I am turning the engine when I try to get it off. Should I put the balencer back on and use it to stop the motor from rotating? any help would be great at this point thanks

Should start your own thread. But Which way are you turning it? I believe you need to turn it clockwise to get it off.

natemoore

Mine is a three wire, but my primary goes to the same terminal on the starter solenoid that my batter (+) cable is connected to.

vjcthree

Cadet

It does turn to the right but when I get any pressure on it the motor rotates and the impeller head is stripping

ChazzL

Seaman Apprentice

Good question. It connects on the VR (purple wire) with the red wire (wiring diagram says orange). It goes up into the wireing harness so hard to tell where it comes out. Here's a pic and the wiring diagram.VR Wires.jpg

Yes wiring diagram is attached.

Attachments

• WireDiag.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 8

vjcthree

Cadet

I tried heat no help and it just make the head softer and strip more

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I tried heat no help and it just make the head softer and strip more

You could try heating the stud and removing that. I think it takes an allen wrench. Not sure which way that turns:confused:.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Good question. It connects on the VR (purple wire) with the red wire (wiring diagram says orange). It goes up into the wireing harness so hard to tell where it comes out..

The "one wire" must go to the battery. So you could run the wire to the large stud on the starter and remove all of the wires from the VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.