How to know if water pump impeller is working?

jvr440

Cadet
How does one tell if the water pump impeller in the lower unit is bad? This is a 1981 mercruiser 120. Outboards have the telltale pee hole but I've never heard of how to know if it's working on an I/O.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Joe

blackz3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to know if water pump impeller is working?

do you have a temp gauge?

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

As blackz3 says, high temperature reading would mean that impeller replacement may be needed.<br />If it is older then 2 years old, replace it. If you do not know how old it is, replace it. <br />It is a pretty simple thing to do it yourself. I change mine every year during the winter. This way I know for sure I will not have to worry about it when the season starts. <br />Good luck!

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say if your over 170 consistantly, replace it. Mine goes up to about 165 170, then cools to 160. Don't let it overheat.....

flashback

Captain

Yep, thats about it, until you have it in your hand, you won't know. But high temps are a good indication.. if you run it for 10 mins. and can lay your hand on the exhaust manifold without getting burned, the pump is probably OK... :D

jvr440

Cadet

Thanks guys, I know I could watch the guage but thought there may be some telltale way to know if it's working as soon as I have it running. I just got the boat so don't know how old the impeller is so I suppose I'll just replace it. Is it necessary to get the kit with gaskets and wear plate or is only an impeller usually all thats needed?

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine is pretty simple to change out (OMC cobra). If yours is, just pull and check it out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the gaskets. NEVER reuse old gaskets or you will end up with an overheat problem when the suck air instead of water.<br /><br />And NO it isn't as easy to change as a Cobra.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

remove water in hose to thermostat housing start motor at idle it should have about a 6" head of water