1978 22ft Sea Ray Need Comments??

nakman8

Cadet
I'm looking at a very nice 22ft. Sea ray in excellent cosmetic condition.Gel coat is very shiny still.This is a one owner boat! Has been sitting in dry storage for a few years.Has OMC 302 V8 engine.564 hours with no major work done, except services.Hydraulic trim tabs also. The owner says the motor itself can be raised for trim purposes too.<br />Not sure what type of outdrive. I know that the outdrive does have power steering though.How can I identify outdrive so I can tell if it a good or bad model?Boat has not been started for a couple of years.Great trailer with electric winch and spare and accessories. <br />My question is,of course, should I buy a boat this old? Will it nickel and dime me to death as they say? <br />Asking price is $5000.<br /><br /> Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 22ft Sea Ray Need Comments??

Your boat has an OMC 800 stringer hydraulic shift outdrive. Some here don't like them. It is true that they are out of production and qualified mechanics are thinning out. Don't let anyone tell you you can't get parts for them tho. But if you read posts in this forum, IMHO they are not near the nightmare of Mercs etc.<br /><br />One of the features of that outdrive is that you can turn circles around mercs and volvos. They have a much tighter turning radius.<br /><br />edit: Just noticed you were from oregon. We have an excellent mechanic down on the Columbia.(Ryan's Marine) <br />I would check with him to see what he recommends for an outdrive of that age and hours. He likes the OMC and he works on them all. Last summer I had him go thru my unit (also '78 w/ 800+ hours) and he did find some wearing parts that he replaced.(plus a few other tricks that he knows for the hydaulic shift unit) <br /><br /><br />As to the value of the boat, I have no opinion or knowledge. Some will tell you it's worth half of what it would be if it had a Merc outdrive. I don't think that there is much you can buy in that price range that is decent.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Will it nickel and dime me to death as they say? <br />
Boats break in $100, $500, and $1000 intervals, and as already mentioned, parts are available, and in your area you are lucky to find someone who can actually work on them. Because you will need both. <br />Tight turns at great expense. That otta work.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nakman, from what I can tell people are asking between 4K and 7K for that year/model boat with that power package. These are for running boats that are in use or that were used this past season. Anytime I hear of a boat that has been sitting for a few years, I groan. It might be fine, on the other hand, all kinds of serious things could be wrong with it. In my opinion, I would only pay anywhere close to what he is asking if the boat runs and you can take it out for a sea trial. Otherwise, he is selling a non-running boat that is worth 30-60 percent of what the average value is. By the way, If I remember correctly, Oregon has an ocean on one side of it....is this a salt water boat ? That engine could be seriously "ate up" inside.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Nak---would you pay $5000 for a 1978 anything? Boat, Car, tractor? Well, maybe a tractor.<br /><br />If this is your first boat, keep looking. You will want to change that drive in a couple of years and the hole is too big for anything else. You will need to rebuild the stern. Some have done it, but you need lots of time and money on your hands.<br /><br />Are you married? Your wife will divorce you after you mess with this boat for a year or two.<br /><br />Do you pamper all your machinery? You will need to pamper that OMC stringer.<br /><br />You can NEVER run without the unit totally in the down position. Forget the shallows or running the rivers, and that old Sea Ray will need about 3 feet of water just to float.<br /><br />Keep looking. If you pay $5K for this boat, it will be worth about one-fifth of that next season.<br /><br />If you could get it for $2K, might be worth it.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i think buying anything "old" depends on the kinda use u intend it give it and how long u intend to keep it.. <br /><br />if u buy "old" dont try and put too many hours on it.. treat it with respect and sell it on at the right time.. u will get good quality boating at minimal cost..<br /><br />try and keep it too long or use it too much and it will cost u. period..<br /><br />the trick is to try and not be the person who has ownership at the time it needs that major rebuild.. he he<br /><br />trog100

Bondo

Staff member

I Agree with ddboater,... 100%........<br /><br />That boat would have a Hard Time bringing $2500. around Here,..... That's in Perfect Condition......<br /><br />trog,... "Old" isn't Bad.......... Old OMC is Really BAD...........

Capt.Skid

Cadet

My advice is also to keep looking!!!!!!!! There are a lot of boats out there and if you search long enough you will find a great boat at a great price. Sea Ray makes and excellant boat but like <br />ddboater said when the o-drive needs to be replaced you will have a big hole in the stern and only "old" omcs will fit unless you completely replace the transome which could cost somewhere around $3000... Keep Looking!!!<br />CApt.Skid