Keep from Freezing

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Keep from Freezing

Is it coast guard approved for a marine engine? The marine environment is an explosive environment. A half a tea cup of gas, 3ounces, ignited in vapor form will completely wreck a 50 ft boat. Or a 21 footer and a boat on each side. Or my carpet cleaning truck, my new two car garage, and my wifes brand new car. I have a radio shack remote thermometer in the truck and a boat safe heater. Its 14F out side and the truck has been a steady 41F. I check it before I go to bed. The thermometer also has a low temp alarm. That truck hits 32F and I'm outa bed to take care of it. Heater costs $400 plus tax, Carpet Cleaning machine is $25,000 installed, Thermometer is $50. I sleep well with no worries.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok...had a thought...<br />Anybody ever try using the water pipe heaters on there boat engine?
Nope,.... I'd Never Thought of it............<br /><br />But,<br />I've Seen Way Too Many Housetrailers Burnt to the Ground..........And Blamed on Heat Tapes.......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I use a 40W heating pad under the oil pan. All the electrics are sealed in the plastic pad. I like to think it keeps the oil warm so I have lubrication upon cold start, for those late season fishing trips. However, I only use it until it gets really cold (bay gets close to icing up), then I pull the boat and winterize it.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Chris1956:<br /> I use a 40W heating pad under the oil pan. All the electrics are sealed in the plastic pad. ...
What about the on/ off switch? That would be my worry, initially switching an electrical device on, whether it be a heating pad or, say, a mechanics light. Wonder if turning one of these on could provide a spark?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Lakelivin, The length of the cord allows the switch to be out of the bilge. I also keep the switch in the high(on) position, and plug the extension cord on the dock into the electrical receptacle. There should not be any sparks this way.

rwidman

Lieutenant

If you want to heat the engine compartment, the BoatSafe heater is the only safe, approved way to go. Anything else and you're risking blowing up your boat and anything near it. You still have to worry about power outages and have a backup plan such as a generator.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

If you install a single point drain system, you won't have to worry about power failures. You can let the boat sit forever without fear of freezing, NO WATER, NO ICE.

Bondo

Staff member

This will be an Interesting read for all the Guys who want to get creative, trying to Heat their boats.........<br /> Smell Something Burning ????? <br /><br />Ayuh,...... How Many Amps did you say that Heater Pulls ??????