outdrive install problems.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a alpha 1 outdrive and just reinstalled outdrive after the winter and having shifter problems. I can see the upper shifter rides on top of the lower shifter(where outdrive mates to gimbal unit) almost as if the lower shifter needs to be lifted and if i use my fingers in there the lower one can be lifted to sit in the upper one. Now my synch is probably off when I have to mate the two shifters together again. help please.

another tangent, when installing the outdrive i used the trim switch to move pistons in/out to mate with drive, the down switch stopped functioning, no motor noise or anything yet the up switch and trailer functions still worked, I then manually exerted force downwards on pistons when attached to drive and the switch started working again , however it seems like the piston does not retract fully,
tHANKS All.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: outdrive install problems.

I can see the upper shifter rides on top of the lower shifter(where outdrive mates to gimbal unit) almost as if the lower shifter needs to be lifted

If you split the outdrive. That is a symptom of a missing washer under the intermediate shift shaft. If it is missing the bottom of the ss will drop down onto the lower ss bushing and be too low. Look around your work area for a stainless steel washer about 1" in diameter, it probably fell off if you turned the lower over when you worked on it.

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes i did split and do remember that washer, know to find it. thanks

bones774

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone know the part number, my local counterperson is useless.

How about the trim drive question?

Thanks