84 Merc 260 shift cable. whats that part and how do I replace

otgdy

Seaman
Underneath the top section of my Alpha outdrive there is a metal tube that connects the shift cable to a threaded pin in the lower housing. I rotated the pin and it switches the unit from forward to reverse. When I push up no the tube one would expect it to connect to the shift cable, in my case if you find the "right" position rotating it .. it will connect otherwise if just spins freely. If I get it in the position where it connects how do I keep it there while installing the lower unit ? If not possible how do I replace the cable ? Can't find the R/R for this anywhere. Do I have to remove the upper half of the
outdrive ? I went to West Marine and we found the correct shift cable but it doesn't look anything like what I am looking at under this upper-unit. No tube. no washer with cotter pin on the tube.

Thanks
OTG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 84 Merc 260 shift cable. whats that part and how do I replace

Is this what you are looking at?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shift shaft by Ziggy.jpg
    Shift shaft by Ziggy.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0

otgdy

Seaman

Haven't dug that deep yet. Here are two pictures of the parts. The tube hanging from the upper slides over the pin (gold ring on left of pic). Finally found my camera.

OTG

Attachments

• lower-shift-cable.jpg
    lower-shift-cable.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
  • shift-cable-upper.jpg
    shift-cable-upper.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

there should be a stainless steel washer that goes on the shaft first, then install the lower

otgdy

Seaman

there should be a stainless steel washer that goes on the shaft first, then install the lower

Did that. Problem is when the "tube" is pushed upwards it does not always attach to the
shift cable. Have to rotate the metal tube and push upwards before it eventually connects.

Thinking the cable end is messed up.

Thanks
OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That is your intermediate shift shaft. It does not attach directly to the shift cable, it slides into the coupler on the bottom of the upper shift shaft, which does "attach" to the cable. This is a illustration of the parts :http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0065.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=60&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING 23 is the shaft, 21 is the upper ss. It works this way: When you move your control handle the shift cable moves back and forth (back for F) and moves an arm attached to the upper ss. This rotates the ss (cw for F) and the rotation is transferred to the intermediate ss in the driveshaft housing and on to the lower ss in the gear housing. That movement slides the shift spool back and forth to engage either F N or R. The coupler at the bottom of the upper ss allows the two shafts to slide apart when you remove the entire drive. This is what you need to do: Shift the control handle to forward WOT. Turn the short splined shaft (lower ss) all the way clockwise, make sure the stainless steel washer is in place on top of the lower ss bushing (brass in photo), rotate the prop CCW until it locks and bungee it in place (you are now locked in F). Make sure the quad ring is in place in the oil passage, and slide the gear housing up into the driveshaft housing, making sure the top of the intermediate ss is pointed straight ahead when it slides over the lower ss, so that it matches the coupler on the upper ss. If you have to rotate the prop to get the driveshaft splines to slide in, rotate CCW only. Should fit in there quite nicely. Good luck.

otgdy

Seaman

making sure the top of the intermediate ss is pointed straight ahead when it slides over the lower ss, so that it matches the coupler on the upper ss. If you have to rotate the prop to get the driveshaft splines to slide in, rotate CCW only. Should fit in there quite nicely. Good luck.

This is where I messed up. I was thinking the top of the intermediate SS was internally splined like the bottom. This is why it only "connected" at certain rotated positions.
Have to read it again and look up into the cavity to see what pointed straight ahead means. The parts breakdown shows it as being pretty obvious.
Thanks so much for the information. Wasn't looking forward to replacing the cable especially when it isn't necessary.

Thanks again
OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Have to read it again and look up into the cavity to see what pointed straight ahead means.

Look at Ziggy's photo. That is NOT straight ahead LOL. If it were rotated 1 click to the left it would be.:D

otgdy

Seaman

Look at Ziggy's photo. That is NOT straight ahead LOL. If it were rotated 1 click to the left it would be.:D

Finally found the parts shown in Don's picture. That's exactly how it looks from a weird angle I might add. That is definitely where I screwed up originally. I set the shift linkage to get the two pieces facing straight forward but could only get it the way Ziggy's picture has it, one click off. There is no more adjustment in the cable for a true
straight ahead so I am going to try it this way after getting some replacement gaskets.

There is an adjustment tool that they sell for this shift linkage ? Do I need it ?

Thanks
OTG

otgdy

Seaman

Is this what you are looking at?

attachment.php

Well I got the pump rebuilt and now I am setting connecting the upper/lower units. My shift shaft looks exactly like ziggys above (one click off to the right). I disconnected the cable at the engine and it is bottomed out. Translation I can not get the cable to point straight back to match the intermediate shaft. Tried to move the shift the intermediate shaft over one notch on the pin but it will not slide together.

How do I get them to align ?

Thanks
OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

How do I get them to align ?

You need to rotate the intermediate ss all the way clockwise. Turn the prop ccw until it locks. Pull the intermediate ss up off of the splined lower ss, and rotate it clockwise so that it points straight ahead and push it back onto the lower ss. Make sure the control handle is WOT forward and the connection on the bottom of the upper ss is pointing straight ahead. She should go together.

otgdy

Seaman

You need to rotate the intermediate ss all the way clockwise. Turn the prop ccw until it locks. Pull the intermediate ss up off of the splined lower ss, and rotate it clockwise so that it points straight ahead and push it back onto the lower ss. Make sure the control handle is WOT forward and the connection on the bottom of the upper ss is pointing straight ahead. She should go together.

I have the lower ss straight ahead and the unit is locked in forward. Have a bungee holding the propeller. the problem is the top "female receiver" is one notch to the right like in the picture and I can not get it to point straight back to match the lower SS.
Am I misunderstanding something ?

Thanks
OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The control handle is all the way forward?

otgdy

Seaman

The control handle is all the way forward?

Yes even disconnected the cables from the engine linkage and moved the adjustments to the stops and I still cant force the recepticle straight forward.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Yes even disconnected the cables from the engine linkage and moved the adjustments to the stops and I still cant force the recepticle straight forward.

Did you push the cable or pull it? You have to push to go into forward.

otgdy

Seaman

Did you push the cable or pull it? You have to push to go into forward.

I pushed the cable until it bottomed out. Even rotated the adjuster so it would allow all of the available cable to extend towards the outdrive. Still not aligning. Interesting that this was functional prior to impeller and shifter replacement. Figure that.

OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Only one thing left to check. On the end of the shift cable is the shift slide looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-2162-Marine-Mercruiser/dp/B0000AYZ60. There are two arms on the slide that capture a little wheel on top of the lever on the upper shift shaft. What can happen is that the wheel slips out from between the arms and is either in front or behind them, in your case in front. When you shift to forward the slide moves back, but since the wheel is not between the arms it does not move. Also when you try turn your shoe on the bottom clockwise the wheel hits the front arm and will go no further. You need to slide the outdrive back far enough to correct the situation and make sure the wheel is between the arms, should not have to take the outdrive all the way off. Then put in forward lock the prop.... you know the drill. Good luck.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I would agree that it sounds like the shift slide is out of place. You really need to invest in the orange tool pictured here. It costs a dollar or two - and is well worth it! It holds the shift slide in place while you put the outdrive back on.

DSCF8622.jpg

otgdy

Seaman

I would agree that it sounds like the shift slide is out of place. You really need to invest in the orange tool pictured here. It costs a dollar or two - and is well worth it! It holds the shift slide in place while you put the outdrive back on.

DSCF8622.jpg

Want to thank you for the information. Now I progress into the world of the inards.
Can you tell me where this shift slide lives in this photo ? I assume the square peg that the tool is holding is the shift shaft ? Do you recommend that I hook a cherry picker up to the outdrive or is it obvious that it is about to fall on my head ? I will check around for the orange tool. Hopefully WM will have it. Any other tools I may need ?
Thanks again. This weekend should see 100+ degree weather. Perfect for this task.
OTG

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

So you have not removed the upper? I thought you did. Anyway the upper shift shaft is the shaft in the center, the arm is on top and the slide is on the right with the orange thing on it.