Did I get my gimbal bearing in all the way?

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
1979 228 Mercruiser with R drive. I am doing some transom repair and just installed my gimbal bearing and retainer ring. The outer edge of the retainer ring is flush with the inside edge of the housing, about 3/8 " deeper than the outside housing rim (where the bellows will attach). Does this seem right? Any other way to tell for sure? My engine is out, so I can see in from either side.

Help much appreciated! Why is it so easy to read how to do something, but so much harder to do it!

Ed

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Did I get my gimbal bearing in all the way?

when pounding the bearing assy in with a stout hammer an proper installation tool, you should have noted a change in the tone/sound of the strikes when the bearing is seated and the hammer will bounce back from the end of the tool when struck

look at the distance around the edge of the carrier while in the gimbal housing, does it look even?? if so, the bearing is at least straight - if you are unsure the bearing assy is seated, give it one more good smack with a large hammer, you will know if it is seated

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Did I get my gimbal bearing in all the way?

dubs, thanks for the get back. It is straight. I will go back to the operating room and smack it again.