upper gear set

bay1992

Cadet
Ok Guys,

i need some advice. I have a merc 140 with an alpha one out drive 1/98 gear ratio. When I bought the boat I heard growing noises from the out drive so I knew it had to be repaired so I went ahead and replaced the upper gear set on the out drive. well now it seems like it takes a min for the water pump to to start pumping. also I hear noises from the out close to the transom. not sure if it was there before. the grawing form the out out drive is all heard.

Thanks in advance

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: upper gear set

Did you check the gimbal bearing and ujoints while you had the drive off? was there rusty water in the bellows?

Do you have the special tools for setting gear heights on the drive? You didn't just install new gears and bearings without re-shimming did you?

bay1992

Cadet

gimbal bearing was replaced. There was eveidence of rust in the bellows but no water. gear hights were set to specs from the the service manuel

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

gear hights were set to specs from the the service manuel

I guess that means you have the special tools?

There was eveidence of rust in the bellows but no water.

if the hole in the bellows is in the bottom, there won't be water. Did you replace the ujoints?

bay1992

Cadet

sorry I meant to tell you but yes I had access to the special tools KIDS right up my !!!. No I didnt replace the u-joints