Is this a Marine Quadrajet?

JP6438

Cadet
Greetings- I have scoured the internet searching for confirmation as to whether the QJet that came on my 1979 Sea Ray (allegedly original) with a Mercruiser 228 305 is marine or not. My assumption is that it is "marine"...here is the code: 17059292. This translates basically to being made in 1979 to Federal standards.

I have looked at several Qjet identification websites, but none can tell me what the "9" as the 7th digit means. An "8" in that spot means Checker or Marine according to the websites, one site said that "9" like mine means "special", whatver that is.

If I cannot confirm this via code, what visual differences would designate a marine carb of that year vs. auto? THanks in advance for any assistance. (ps I looke din 2 manuals, but no help).

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Is this a Marine Quadrajet?

don't know if yer carb is sea ray specific. but the number you provided does show up in the mercruiser service manual.

you should probably get service manual #3 for your engine and #4 for your drive so ya can work on your stuff proper..

Attachments

• carb spec..JPG
    carb spec..JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 0

JP6438

Cadet
Re: Is this a Marine Quadrajet?

Thanks a lot Ziggy. It was just odd that nowhere on the carb does it state anything about being a 4MV, which would have told me immediately it was a marine carb. I am doing a rebuild of the engine, and a mechanic I know looked at the carb and told me that it was not a marine carb because there was no hose barb on the front left for the fuel overflow to atttach to if the electric fuel pump failed, which of course started me thinking about it....wouldn't want to blow me or the family up or have the coasties write me up... :)