Trim sender problem

dausbury

Cadet
I just replaced the trim sender and limit switch on my 7.4/Bravo and I am trying to adjust the sender. With outdrive all the way in when I am rotating the sender I reach a point where the guage moves from all the way up to all the way down. I set the sender at this point then when I trim up the guage does not respond untill the outdrive is trimmed out about 25% of the way. Then the trim guage pegs in the next few inches of trim up .When I rotate the sender to adjust there is no place where I get a reading on the guage that is not all the way up or all the way down. If I move the sender at all from the point where the guage shows all the way down the guage jumps to all the way up.

Ran the boat and the guage does not come off all the way down till the outdrive is past the operating range then it pegs almost immediately.

Do I have a guage problem? Is there a way to test?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Trim sender problem

IMHO the new trim senders suck. Mine worked for about a month, don't even look at it anymore.;)

Bondo

Staff member

I just replaced the trim sender and limit switch on my 7.4/Bravo

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya got 'em wired backwards...

dausbury

Cadet

Thats what it acts like but I already made that mistake initially. The trim guage works but only once the unit is above the operating range and it will not adjust.

Following the adjustment process that is in the manual. When the outdrive is all the way down and I turn the sending unit on the outdrive there is a point where the guage pegs and when I turn back the opposite direction even the slightest bit it bottoms out. If I tighten the screws and set the sender at that point (and the guage is all the way down) when I trim up the guage does not start moving up till the outdrive is above the operating range.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

im with bond-o, you got em wired backwards, OR i have found some of them are factory backwards and the index marks are off 180 degrees

re-set the sender and just keep rotating the sender until the guage responds, then set and tighten