OH NO!!!! Cracked block. 228 Chevy 305

ChevyPower

Banned
So basically after posting a thread earlier and after extensive research and some inspection of the engine I found what appears to be a cracked block. There is a serious crack in one of the exhaust manifolds and it drips water with engine off and POURS water while running. The other side is pretty trashed too. On top of that I saw what appears to be a crack in the block. I noticed rust colored streaks on the starboard side but can't really see a crack. On the port side I saw the same thing a little bit below the spark plugs on the block and a 3-4 inch wide crack that can be easily seen and felt by touch (about as thick as a fingernail).

I plan on replacing the engine, not like I have many alternatives. I'm trying to do so in the most cost effective manner since I already put more money into this boat than it's worth.

Can someone PLEASE help me. I'm really at wits end here and ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated. I'll give you any information I can. I found a reman'd block from a company off ebay with new pistons, bearings, seals, etc. for around 600. Shipping is my only concern.

Thanks for the help ahead of time!

NHGuy

Captain
Re: OH NO!!!! Cracked block. 228 Chevy 305

That's really lousy for you. Sorry to hear of your problem. One thing to do with this situation is to be sure to replace the manifolds and risers with the block. There is a good chance that they are bad too. One is certainly bad from what you wrote.
As far as motors, the cost to ship will be a factor. What are you near? $600 is way cheap-are there any guarantees with the motor?
If you have a way to do it and enough boat I'd get a 5.7 engine. Most of the externals change right over and they are more common than 5.0's.
Sometimes when faced with this decision folks are concerned that the larger displacement motor will use more gas. Well, if you rip around in it you will. But once you get past the fun of the bigger pulling power you'll find that you don't have to go full power all the time. I found that a higher pitched propeller and less aggressive throttle you can get reasonably good fuel economy. I went over a year with too low of a prop pitch. (19") The thing would pull stumps, but I was buying gas willy nilly.
Last year I went to a higher pitch prop and I'm getting nice improvements in economy. It keeps my RPMs down at cruising speeds. Since we go miles each time out it's a good savings. The engine just loafs along when I cruise, which I like.

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

NH guy's advice is good. I will add to it. After looking at a ton of options when I re-powered I would suggest:

forget the warranty on the engine, you want reputation first, warranty second. if something is amiss with your ebay engine, you will have to pull it, then ship it to seller. If you attempt any repair yourself, you can invalidate the warranty. I found online rebuilders offering 7 year warrantys with competitive prices and I didnt buy from them because of reputation.......

i agree, the 5.7 is a better choice. actually cheaper in many cases than the 305 because the 350/5.7 engines are more common these days.

get an engine that is compatible with the year and engine type of your engine. one or two piece main seal? which engine will mean you can or cannot use your old carburetor, intake manifold, starter, flywheel, and coupler.

you stated a "block", i hope you mean a long block. you could use your old heads, but buying a long block with rebuilt heads is fairly inexpensive and keeps all the internal mechanicals on the warranty of the seller.

ChevyPower

Banned

Thanks guys!
I have the short block 305. The people I found the block from claim over 50 years of expertise however the warranty is not the greatest. Pretty much enough warranty to cover the swap and make sure everything runs. Here is the link of what I'm considering.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rema...wItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ260665660540#shId
I would LOVE to have a 350, they are, in my opinion, the best engines ever created. I had a '75 Stingray with an L-48 and I absolutely loved it. I just figured those engines would be more sought after for their popularity, versatility, and reliability. I'll definitely consider one if I can find it at a better price! :D
To do this swap I'll definitely have to pull the engine. This would require pulling the outboard. Anyone have any experience with this? This is probably my biggest worry. Am I working myself up over nothing? I have absolutely ZERO experience in outdrives but if its as simple as youtube makes it look (undo a couple boats and give it a stern yank and wahlah!) then that will ease a big burden.
All in all I paid 800 for the boat. If I spend 600 on the block, another 200 to pick it up, then 400 for the manifolds I will have about 2500 into it including new interior. My next question. Is it worth it?

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

I named my boat (Money Pit)
Becouse she is!
Just like the wife

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

the link you posted is to an automotive engine short block. You should not use an automotive engine in your boat (search the threads for automotive engines in boats, they are different).

also, this is a short block......no heads!........you have to supply heads and install yourself.....

not the way I would go

ChevyPower

Banned

I have a donor engine that's in the boat with good heads. I was going to use that. My friend took a Ford 302 from his truck and put it in a boat with no problems.. that's why I figured this would be OK.

Just found out some more detrimental info concerning the hull structure. There is a long crack in the V part of the hull and when you press it you can feel and see water come out. I just bought this boat yesterday and have already contacted the seller for a 90% refund. Lost a hundred bucks but I'll just chalk it up as a lesson well learned. Hopefully, if all works out, the boat will be gone by tomorrow and I'll be back on the market.

This time I'll be PREPARED and know what to look for.

NHGuy

Captain

Smart move, cut your losses, broken boat with broken engine is only of value if the drive, & electrics & other stuff are useful for a different good hull with a bad drive. And you still don't even know how those are. If you get stuck you can part it out and get back your money but that takes time and effort.

ChevyPower

Banned

Thanks NHGuy! You've been really helpful. I used to live across the river from Portsmouth, NH in Kittery, ME. Moved down to NC a few years ago for the beautiful weather and what not. I think since I bought the boat down here people aren't as apt to winterize since they live in a generally warmer region of the country.. Sure the winters aren't as bad as Maine but it definitely gets below freezing. I think if I would've bought the boat from a Yankee it probably would've been winterized ;)
The electrics and what not seem fine. I never took it in the water but did a dry land test on all the components: Blower, bilge pump, outdrive, gear-thingy, etc. I didn't think about it but parting out may be my last resort if this guy doesn't keep his word. I hope it doesn't come down to that, the guy seemed like a pretty stand up fellow.

JP6438

Cadet

I have been dealing with Raul at Rapido Marine... I am waiting on delivery of my 5.7 SBC long block. I have read pretty decent reviews on this forum about Rapido, and so far he has been very helpful with assisting me in weeding through the Frankenstein engine that was in my boat, and getting me the best long block for my needs. YOu can get a long block SBC 305 with heads for uinder $1500 and freight is only $150 anywhere in the US, with no core needed. Http://www.rapidomarine.com

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

If you don't get water in the oil I would do a proper seal job and see what happens.

ChevyPower

Banned

If you don't get water in the oil I would do a proper seal job and see what happens.

I'm not getting water in my oil.. It's more like oil in my water :/

Boat is gone tomorrow anyways. About to buy one that doesn't need work.