Small hole in outdrive. What is this? 1984 mercruiser

msu_sports

Cadet
I have some gear oil leaking from a small hole on the lower unit of my out drive. I looked through my entire manual and can not find an reference to what this hole is. Serial on my drive unit is 6717531. Transom assembly is 6689788. This is my first boat I bought as a repair project so I am learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Picture is attached.

Attachments

• outdrive3.jpg
    outdrive3.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 10

scipper77

Commander
Re: Small hole in outdrive. What is this? 1984 mercruiser

Water comes out of that hole on mine. If you are lucky the quad ring between the lower and upper halves of the putdrive has failed. Have you had any work done to the drive recently?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That hole leads to a cavity that goes up to the shift shaft in the lower unit, the area in blue

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 29

dubs283

Vice Admiral

it is a drain for the cavity forward of the shift shaft passage

if you have lube dripping from it, more than likely the shift shaft seal has failed, time to pull the drive, pressure test and replace any and all failed seals

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I learned the hard way , never could figured out what that small hole was after a summer of leaking small amount of oil thru that hole find myself stranded in the middle of the bay with a broken stern drive , I wish I would have known this site then, would had save me to replace the unit , the complete drive was tored up by broken seals. Service it before is to late .

cr2k

Captain

It's a weep hole to drain water out of the housing so it wont freeze or corrode the drive.

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had lube leaking from my weep hole. It turned out to be a broken o-ring on the top of the drive shaft. You'll just have to pull the lower end off the drive and have a look around.

patrick 00

Recruit

i have the same problems this week end oil came out of this little hole and also from the propeller shaft what can i do

sorry for my english thank s

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

is this a gravity drain weep hole? Or is there supposed to be water coming out under pressure? A pic of a boat on the muffs, not mine.

IMG_3370.jpg