Changing the Alternator Belt on 3.0L mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
I had the alternator belt shred on me the other day. I went to several sites to see if there was anything I needed to know about changing them since the front pully is damn near touching the front engine mount. The suggestion was to hook up a engine lift and raise the motor to change the belt. :eek: Are you kidding me? I called a friend of mine who works on boat engines and asked him what would be the easiest way. He looked at it and said to take the front pully off. I Changed the belt in 15min. I got a replacement from Pep boys by taking the old belt up there to try and match it to a new one, but Does anyone have the part numbers or where to get them for the belts needed to run the alternator and the power steering on my 98 3.0L? Would be appreciated.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Changing the Alternator Belt on 3.0L mercruiser

how did you get the belt off with out removeing part of the front motor mount it traps it???<br /><br />most people put in a spare belt when changeing it and tie it out of the way<br /><br />and auto store is a good way if you can match up the belt just keep buying the same one if it fits<br /><br />tommays

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I did remover the motor mount. Sorry for not saying that. Not a bad idea of putting in the spare belt.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you get the parts number for the belt???

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I did get the part number for the belt. Did you need it?

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes. If your boat engine is the same as mine. I have a I/O 3.0l mercruiser with Alpha 1 outdrive. It would be a good reference if ever I should need to replace the belt. Thanks

interceptor

Cadet

Ditto Big Poppa G, I could use the number also, as My Carver has twin 140's. Thanks!!

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I'll post it tonight when I get home. The number is in my garage. Remember its for the Alternator belt.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

beezee28,interceptor<br />Here is the information on the alternator belt. I bought it at PEP BOYS.<br /><br />15395<br />DYNAFLEX<br />Heavy Duty Automotive V-Belt<br />By DAYCO<br />Cost: $8.39<br /><br />Hope it helps.

Hi all<br />If the 3.0 is anything like the 3.7 with a little manipulation you can actually get the belt on without taking off anything in about 5 to 10 mins... I just pushed the belt down on the sides of the pulley and then pulled the belt down on both sides and it went through with no damage to the belt..few scuffs but no fraying or anything significant...

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Tried as hard as I could without damage but the front pully is too close to the front engine mount. Removing the pully was the only way to get enough clearance. At least on the 3.0.

Bummer...that does'nt sound fun at all! The clearance on mine is narrower than the belt but I was able to at least get it through....The worst part was that the belt that fit mine was $18.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

You win on one........you lose on the other. ;)

darylwall

Recruit

I did remover the motor mount. Sorry for not saying that. Not a bad idea of putting in the spare belt.

What is involved with removing the engine mount enough to get the belt in place, are special tools required, etc?

Daryl

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OLD Thread
October 2004

If you have a question, start a new thread, don't just tack onto an old thread or ask it on someone elses thread.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Why on earth would you do that if it's a relevant questions with great information? I would think it better to consolidate rather than get a bunch of information everywhere.. :)

For the Alpha One / 3.0 L, we actually put one of those baby hyraulic floor jacks under the motor with a block of wood to support the engine. Give it a little push, then pop those two bolts out of the motor mount access bracket on the right hand side. You can re-align the motor if it sags on you a bit.

Voila! Easy access..

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend using nothing but Goodyear Gatorback belts sold at Autozone.. Absolutely the highest quality/strongest belts you can buy. That sucker is a little bit of a pain to change, so spend an extra $5 on a good belt and save yourself some time.

tdeloer

Cadet

What perfect timing! Just broke the belt Sunday and thought it would be a 5 minute job to replace. Went to change my broken belt today (replacement from Advanced Auto, $9.50)and ran into the motor mount problem. Hesitant to start taking things apart. Since boat is in a marina went and asked the mechanics and they said "No problem. Need to lift engine. 1 hour. $75. Will take a few days to get to it."

This thread gives this first time boat owner the courage to take a shot at it myself. Thanks guys, a bunch!

Iam4AU

Cadet

My belt broke on Memorial Day. Battery went dead within 100 yards of dock, 45 minutes short of sundown. I was quite lucky, this time. Anyway, I just finished changing the belt on my 3.0 mercruiser. :) I used screw type jack from my truck. 1) Placed under engine beside alternator mount 2) Turned gently by hand until engine moved up slightly, 3) Removed bolts 4) Installed 2 belts, one for backup 5) Reinstalled bolts 6) Removed jack 7) Cable tied spare belt around spacer. Thanks everyone for the information. I love this resource :D Belt is 3/8" X 40"

Attachments

• boatfix.jpg
    boatfix.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.