This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Changing the Alternator Belt on 3.0L mercruiser

Why on earth would you do that if it's a relevant questions with great information? I would think it better to consolidate rather than get a bunch of information everywhere..

For the Alpha One / 3.0 L, we actually put one of those baby hyraulic floor jacks under the motor with a block of wood to support the engine. Give it a little push, then pop those two bolts out of the motor mount access bracket on the right hand side. You can re-align the motor if it sags on you a bit.

Voila! Easy access..

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend using nothing but Goodyear Gatorback belts sold at Autozone.. Absolutely the highest quality/strongest belts you can buy. That sucker is a little bit of a pain to change, so spend an extra $5 on a good belt and save yourself some time.
    "..but honey.. that's why we belong on a boat: The gators don't judge."

Comment

What perfect timing! Just broke the belt Sunday and thought it would be a 5 minute job to replace. Went to change my broken belt today (replacement from Advanced Auto, $9.50)and ran into the motor mount problem. Hesitant to start taking things apart. Since boat is in a marina went and asked the mechanics and they said "No problem. Need to lift engine. 1 hour. $75. Will take a few days to get to it."

This thread gives this first time boat owner the courage to take a shot at it myself. Thanks guys, a bunch!

Comment

My belt broke on Memorial Day. Battery went dead within 100 yards of dock, 45 minutes short of sundown. I was quite lucky, this time. Anyway, I just finished changing the belt on my 3.0 mercruiser. I used screw type jack from my truck. 1) Placed under engine beside alternator mount 2) Turned gently by hand until engine moved up slightly, 3) Removed bolts 4) Installed 2 belts, one for backup 5) Reinstalled bolts 6) Removed jack 7) Cable tied spare belt around spacer. Thanks everyone for the information. I love this resource Belt is 3/8" X 40"
        Attached Files
        Sadness is putting away the boat before sundown

Comment

Working...
        X