Water Pump - Replace Impellers

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, 1988 30' Sea Ray Weekender with twin merc 5.7 straight shafts. Anyone with this vessel knows the difficulty in removing the water pump housing, it can be reached but cant be seen. I have searched but unable to find a removal technique and would like to find a drawing or some pictures that will explain where the removal bolts are. Many thanks for any help .........Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Pump - Replace Impellers

You aren't going to find any specific instruction for pulling pumps in specific boats. You have to be creative sometimes. Remove things until you can access the pumps.
You would be surprised at the number of boats I pull engines on to replace raw water pump impellers, and things like starters, spark plugs etc. That's why us Marine Techs make the big bucks :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don, Yes I understand your point. I can see the front part of the pump pulley and can feel the rest. It is a basic 5.7 merc and I'm sure thousands were built like this one so am hoping to find just a basic layout or a picture of the area for bolt location etc just to make life a little easier. Last resort I may take a trip to a Detroit marine outlet that may have an 5.7 merc engine of this vintage on the bench and take a few pictures myself. Now if anyone has same and can send me anything you will save me a 3 hour trip. Many thanks...

estame6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks dDon, There is definitely a technique and having just done the job anyone needing info just pm me and will guided you through the impeller replacement on a 1988 30' sea ray weekender w/ 2x merc's 260 hp 5.7 straight shaft. You to can save big bucks.... Dave