Exhaust Manifold Gasket Material

haulnazz15

Captain
I've got a quick question. I have an exhaust leak on the port side exhaust manifold, which is a new manifold to go along with the new 351w I put in there last summer. I used the exhaust gaskets that came with the center-riser conversion kit from ebasicpower. The leak was there from the beginning, but I wanted to put a few hours of run time on the new engine before I fixed the small exhaust leak.

Now, to my question: do normal automotive gaskets work for this purpose, or do I need to go back and order the gasket from a marine store? If the automotive ones work just as well (especially in 1-piece form), is there a reason I should choose one gasket material over another?

Note: I did search for about 30 minutes on this and came up with varying answers. To me, it seems like exhaust-only is coming out at that point, so I see no reason it should be a marine-only part.

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Exhaust Manifold Gasket Material

My feeling is that the marine gasket is wider, since most marine manifolds have much thicker flanges. I have used both Sierra and GLM gaskets recently; both worked fine. My feeling was that the GLM worked better in sealing surfaces that were a little more uneven than what would be ideal. The Merc gaskets always seemed to be top quality.

In either case, these gaskets are cheap. I think a pair of exhaust gaskets for a 454 were maybe $15 at most ?

haulnazz15

Captain

Yeah, I wasn't really that concerned about cost, more about availability and function. I only need the one gasket anyway which runs about $7 bucks plus shipping. I haven't decided if I'm going to lay a straight-edge across the manifold ports and block ports yet. It's a tight space between the manifold and the fuel tank and I would rather not have to remove the manifold completely if I don't need to. If it blows another exhaust gasket, then I'll pull the manifold out to investigate. With all of about 5 hours of run-tme on the new powerplant, I can't make too many assumptions about the cause other than assembler error (me), lol.

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure to clean off any rust around the ports, and try to get them clean and even.

cr2k

Captain

Yep it's just exhaust through there. Any exhaust gasket for that engine should work fine.

Bondo

Staff member

If the automotive ones work just as well (especially in 1-piece form),

Ayuh,... I've taken to buyin' Fel-pro exhaust gaskets, the carbon/ metal 1s...
I finially found a "Parts Guy" to look 'em up for me...
All the 1s listed for automotive were multi-piece stuff..
Ya need the 1 piece 1s, to hold 'em in place, because marine motors don't use All the retaining bolts...

haulnazz15

Captain

I hope there isn't any significant rust on the ports with such little run time, but I suppose there could be some surface rust on the exposed areas. I'll definitely do that before throwing the gasket on there.