Replaced lower gear unit, now water getting in outdrive oil..what did I do wrong?

ping65810

Cadet
Hey everyone, On my 1988 Alpha one outdrive I hit rocks and put a hole in the lower gear unit. I ran it for maybe 5 mins max afterwards, with no apparent damage done other than the upper driveshaft (cap) bearing. I replaced the lower gear unit, changed over water pump, etc, and reinstalled. I did not toy with the quad seal or anything else, just swapped things over and put the outdrive back together. Now it runs decent, water seems to be flowing through like it should, etc.

Now here's the problem, I still need to replace the upper driveshaft bearing, but when I pulled the cover I noticed the gear oil had turned into a milkshake. Now, I'm wondering, was there water somehow in the upper that I missed from before that is contaminating the gear oil? Or is water leaking in via the waterpump or quad seal? I am pretty familiar with motors, but new to outdrives, and have spent countless hours trying to figure this out to no avail. There was no oil in the cooling water coming out, soo that makes me wonder if its getting into the oil, but not the other way around.

What are your thoughts on it? Anyone know what (prob simple) mistake I am making or seal I am overlooking?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replaced lower gear unit, now water getting in outdrive oil..what did I do wrong?

Did you forget to install the quad ring between the upper and lower?

Now, I'm wondering, was there water somehow in the upper that I missed from before

For one thing, you should have drained the oil out of the upper when you changed the lower. Second, that is why you should always do a pressure check on the drive after any kind of maintenance. Then you will know if it leaks or not before you get water in it again.
You also need to remove the upper from the bellhousing and make sure there is no water in the bellows.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Replaced lower gear unit, now water getting in outdrive oil..what did I do wrong?

A missing quad ring can lead to water ingestion. Also if you did NOT completely drain the drive there will be water in the upper too.