3.0 Vapor Lock

EClass20

Seaman Apprentice
I have officially, after one year of throwing parts at my boat, come to the conclusion that I am having a vapor lock issue. I printed the Service Bulletin that Don S posted for me and tried mentioned methods.

Day one: 90+ degrees. (North GA) I have increased air flow to my engine compartment. Ran blower full time. I wan't to let the engine idle down when I stop but it usually stalls before I get to where I want to go. Only runs good for 10-12 minutes. Hard starts to limp it home. Didn't mess with a thing. Let it sit overnight.

Day two: 90+ degrees. Fires up and runs fine. No engine cover today. Blower still on not that it makes much of a difference today. Ran it's longest for about 20 minutes before it started its hesitations. Stopped immediately in middle of lake. Let it Idle for about 4 minutes and dies on it own. Hard starts to limp back.

Day three: 90+ degrees. I replaced the vac line from my fuel pump to my carb last summer. It was for some reason all gunked up again so I replaced it again thinking maybe. Gas tank vent is clean. Ran again with no engine cover. Same result.

I asked gas station owner what the RVP of his gas is and got a blank look like I was a coo coo. He even showed me his order receipt but it wasn't listed. Winter Blend I do know for fact. Summer blend is coming this month.

Should I or can I replace my hard gas line from my pump to carb with a larger line?
I have heard myth tales to wrap gas line with alumn foil. How about heat wrap you see on headers in race cars?

I would insulate my tank but there is hardly any clearance for me to stick my hands in.

I am at a loss on what to do next. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 Vapor Lock

If it's doing that with the cover off, it's not vapor locking. Also, that is not a vacuum line from the fuel pump to the carb, Just a hose to direct fuel to the carb if the fuel pump diaphragm leaks.

One thing you might try, is run the engine on a remote fuel tank of gas and see if your problem remains. It's sounding like you may have problems with fuel delivery up to the fuel pump.

EClass20

Seaman Apprentice

If it's doing that with the cover off, it's not vapor locking. Also, that is not a vacuum line from the fuel pump to the carb, Just a hose to direct fuel to the carb if the fuel pump diaphragm leaks.

One thing you might try, is run the engine on a remote fuel tank of gas and see if your problem remains. It's sounding like you may have problems with fuel delivery up to the fuel pump.

10-4. I have a 6gal so I will hook it up tomorrow. Is the primer bulb needed like on an outboard? Thanks.

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shouln't just crank engine over a bit to prime the line to fuel pump, but would not hurt to have one to help get gas up to fuel pump. IMHO!