Exhaust bellows upgrade?

zx9rstv

Seaman
1990 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer. Twin Merc 5.7 260hp Alpha 1 gen1 drives. As I was redoing the gimbal bearings and bellows on the transom I noticed the Exhaust bellows was not attached to the gimbal housing. It was just a straight firm bellow attached to the transom exhaust port. I was wondering if This type of bellow is sold? Or is there anything wrong with not putting the type of bellows that attach from the transom to the housing. I just left it as it was, since It seemed to be that way from the previous owner and hadn't caused an issue that I know of. I've attached a couple pictures for your viewing enjoyment

DSC06067.JPG
DSC06068.JPG

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust bellows upgrade?

Ayuh,... It's maybe a side-step, not an Up-grade...

You can use the Tube, or the Bellows...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Call it what you want, but it was designed for Bravo outdrives with the high output big blocks to relieve some exhaust pressure through the outdrive.
DIYers picked up on it because with the tube, they didn't need the special tool the dealers have for installing the bellows on Alpha style bellhousing to do the job correctly.
If you look in any OEM parts catalogs, you will NOT see a tube listed for any of the MC1, R, MR, Alpha I, or Alpha I Gen II outdrives.
One other note. The Props used on Alpha style outdrives are again designed to have the exhaust coming out the inside of them. They need that for best results.
The "Transom Seal KITS" with the tube are also not found in the OEM parts catalogs. The kits (and name) is designed with the DIYer in mind. Since the kits are designed for the DIYer, Merc added the tube to their kit by public demand. That is why the kit can only be found in the Accessories catalog.

So don't call it normal or an up grade or anything but what it is, a work around for those without the special tool. Nothing else.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

but it was designed for Bravo outdrives with the high output big blocks to relieve some exhaust pressure through the outdrive.
So don't call it normal or an up grade or anything but what it is, a work around for those without the special tool. Nothing else.

up?grade
[n. uhp-greyd; adj., adv. uhp-greyd; v. uhp-greyd, uhp-greyd] Show IPA
noun, adjective, adverb, verb, -grad?ed, -grad?ing.
2. an increase or improvement

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was also significantly louder, when my marina installed a tube on my Alpha (without my permission or knowledge).
I'm happy to have the bellows on there now.

zx9rstv

Seaman

Ok Thanks for the replies. I got the normal exhaust tube in my transom repair kit. And I have the tool too. But I was so frustrated with the time it took in doing the rest of the bellows, and coolant line that I just didn't want to mess with the exhaust bellows and left the open tube. If there's isn't going to be any severe reaction to leaving the tube there I guess I'll replace it the next time I do the bellows.