1969 starcraft i/o question

Bill Brokhoff

Recruit
I have a 1969 starcraft Newport i/o with an inline 4 cylinder GM engine. Has a mercruiser outboard. Not sure what model the Mercruiser is, I think maybe an Alpha. The gears are toast. Can anyone tell me if I have the correct outboard model and where I might purchase parts?

Thank you

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: 1969 starcraft i/o question

replacing the gears requires a bunch of knowledge, skill and special tools. The numbers on the drive will tell you what model it is. most likely it's a 1:98 to 1 gear set. you can take them to a dealer and match them up. Maybe I boats sells them and the gasket d seel kit. From your terminology I would recommend you hire it repaired.

Bondo

Staff member

The gears are toast. Can anyone tell me if I have the correct outboard model and where I might purchase parts?

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard......

iboats megamall has Most of the parts for yer MC-1 drive,...
Mercruiser has a few left too...

With the Toolage, 'n Knowledge needed to rebuild it,..
Most folks buy an SEI drive,... iboats has them too...

An Alpha 1, should/ will interchange with yer ole MC-1....

Bill Brokhoff

Recruit

How can I determine exactly what sterndrive I have? Where do I find the model number? Do you know of any place that sells remanufactured ones? Thanks for the help.

Bill Brokhoff

Recruit

How can I determine what model I have - I think I'll just replace the whole thing. Know of anyone that sells remanufactured ones? Thanks for the help.

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Numbers are typically on a "flat" on the upper sides, about 6" below the bolt/cap on the top of the out drive. this flat is about hmmmm 4" long and 1.5" high. There is often a decal on this spot that has to be removed. The numbers are stamped in with a die and are very small. I/8" maybe?? 1/16?? The area has to be cleaned with solvent. Be careful not to us something to rough. They are not real robust. The numbers on the ones I saw are on the left side (facing the drive) but that could very. Once you have the numbers there are sites that have model and year.

Grzzzz

RogersJetboat454

Commander