Can anybody tell me what this is... help

Ok so this is the 470 that I was blessed with that Im trying to get right to put into my starcraft im restoring. I cranked the motor and it ran very strong, great compression, but a little hot. After I examined it when I shut it off I noticed water dripping out of this hole on the front of the engine which was small at first. I poked it with a screw driver and it opened up to where it is now. It streams water out pretty good now. any ideas what it is, what caused it and or how to fix it?? I cant find anything on it in the manual. Where its located makes me think it supposed to be there but for sure it should not be leaking water.
-Josh

Attachments

• 470hole1.jpg
    470hole1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
Re: Can anybody tell me what this is... help

here's another picture to help show the location of the hole..

Attachments

• 470hole3.jpg
    470hole3.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 0

lcmains1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see 4 holes there!

Allmand

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Strange....looks like thin metal. Is it possible that its a tiny rusted out freeze plug?

So if its a core plug im assuming it is brass... anybody got a link or advice on how to properly fix it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you take a picture from farther back so we have some idea where it's located on the "front of the engine".

Is this the hole you are referring to?

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

It appears to be a plug of some sort as was mentioned earlier. I went and looked on my 470 and what appears to be a plug is in that spot. Looks like it's pressed in... I can't find anything in the manual about it other than a couple pictures that it can be seen in, but it isn't labeled as anything. Here is a pic of mine...

cedcc60c.jpg

rickryder

Commander

Core plug..... remove old one and replace :)

Any idea where I can get the plug? My local marine shop should have right? I couldn't find anything onlinefor it..... thanks for all the help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

auto parts store, ask for a brass core plug for a 460 ford truck head

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Yes, it is a core (freeze) plug. You can remove it by putting a small screwdriver or punch on the side of it and tap it with a hammer. It will spin and then you can pull it out. Clean the surrounding steel with emory cloth and reinsert with a new brass one. In a pinch, you can use a touch of oil and a socket the approximate size.

Thanks guys..... ordered today... cant wait to drop this thing in