MerCathode Question

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1985 Sea Ray SRV 300 Sundancer, twin Mercuisers 5.7 with Alpha I outdrives.

I have two MerCathode Systems installed and I have a question about "aluminum" type anodes. When I bought the boat, it had a aluminum ball on each trim cylinder ram, anodic block mounted under the trim hydraulic manifold and an "acorn looking" cap on each aluminum transom bolts, installed on the bottom of the gimbal housing. I replaced each of these as standard maintenance. My MerCathode system has the round plastic anode and cathodes mounted on the transom between the out drives.

1) "Acorn Caps" - I saw in the mercruiser manual for the Alpha outdrive, there was a picture showing a red line through the acorn cap, indicating not to use and another picture shows a plastic cap installed, if you have the MerCathode system. My MerCathode system does not use the "Electrode" type anodic block, which has wires leading to the MerCathode Controller via the trim hose/manifold port. Do I use the acorn caps for my type of older MerCathode system? Will they harm the aluminum transom bolts?

2) Are the aluminum type anodes installed on the trim cylinders necessary?
Thank you in advance...

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: MerCathode Question

Getting ready to launch, anybody have any ideas on this issue.
Thank you...

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MerCathode Question

All of my boats had the Mercathode system. Trim ram anodes- if the boat is left in the water for more than 1-2 days, then yes these are required. Acorn's on nuts- I have never had these but I have seen them on other boats. Also, those bolts are not aluminum- they would not be strong enough. Do not forget the trim tab on the drive is also a anode.