Bravo 1, swivel pin/steeringarm alternative repair

Cummins_12v

Recruit
Hello guys, short version : pulled up my Donzi from the river for refueling, then noticed 4-5 inch of slack on my bravo steerndrive. Drilled and cut a hole in the housing(mercruiser emblem), an noticed slack between the swivel oin and steeringarm.

The swivelpin has no slack to the gimbalhousing, so why use a lot of money on new parts? I was thinking of drill a hole From astern true the steeringarm and into the swivelpin, then tap it, and put in a 6-8mm stainless steel bolt, this will eliminage the slack. But will it be strong enough? Thanks for all reply's and other possible solutions :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Bravo 1, swivel pin/steeringarm alternative repair

there is a right way and a wrong way to repair your gimbal ring/steering shaft

sounds like you have already started the wrong way

here is a link to download the manual for bravo set-up and includes step by step instructions on how to properly repair your problem:

http://www.4shared.com/document/UZ_e6ZT8/Service_Manual_11.html

Cummins_12v

Recruit

Read again, the problem is not between the gimbalring -Swivelpin, the problem is Swivelpin- steeringarm. Offcourse i could replace the parts, and do it the right way. But a litle short on time and money right now :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

in any case, cutting out the gimbal housing there is not the recommended way to repair the shaft/steering arm

at the very least you NEED to replace either the steering arm or shaft due to severe wear (probably both), your method does not seem safe at all

if you download and read the manual you will see how everything goes together and the correct way to fix it

p.s. - i understand you are short on cash right now but read my signature and you will see why i am so adimant about PROPER repairs

Cummins_12v

Recruit

Yep, i downloaded the manual, and it works like i thought . But with my repair, if the stainless steel bolt snaps, the worst scensrio would be that i get my old 4 inch slack. I live in Norway, an there are very few places to get parts, and the shop propably have to order swivel and steeri g arm from usa at several hundred dollars and weeks to wait for parts :(

dubs283

Vice Admiral

what if you are on plane , the bolt snaps, and slams the drive so hard that your weakened steering arm and shaft gives away and you find yourself flying out of control with no way to steer the boat??

45Auto

Commander

But will it be strong enough?

Nobody on this forum that I'm aware of has the engineering data necessary to answer your question. What kind of steel are the steering pin (forged if I remember correctly)and steering arm made of (is the steering arm a casting?)? What are their allowable stress levels? How much will drilling a hole of a given diameter through the steering arm reduce it's strength? What kind of loads does an outdrive exert on the swivel pin and steering arm in a high-speed turn (Donzi's aren't known for being slow boats).

If you're subjecting the steering arm to a high-load situation and it snaps at the hole, you're going to experience a lot more than 4-5 inches of slack. Make sure you're wearing an engine cut-off lanyard, it's going to go full lock in one direction. Hopefully it'll throw you out of the boat and shut it down before it hurts someone.

I'm glad you're in Norway and not close to me! :)

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alpha's have an approved Merc method to cut holes in the gimble housing for this sort of repair: I dont know if Bravo's also can do this, but it would not surprise me. Generally this amount of play is due to the steering arm / swivel pin wear, or possibly the gimble ring to swivel pin. Try to tighten up both of them first (i.e. torque to spec) and see if that clears up the issue.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

drill a hole From astern true the steeringarm and into the swivelpin, then tap it, and put in a 6-8mm stainless steel bolt, this will eliminage the slack. But will it be strong enough? Thanks for all reply's and other possible solutions
Howdy, and welcome aboard!

If I understand you correctly, you're proposing to drill and tap a hole in the Steering Lever (#14 below) AND the Swivel Shaft (#12) and screwing a bolt into both.

While I think it might work for a while, I think you'll weaken the steering lever enough to risk cracking and breaking the lever such that it could cause you to completely lose the ability to steer the thing.

I get why you want to do this. The repair could entail pulling the drive AND the engine to get to it all.............That's how I would do it though.....

There's probably not anyone here that will think it's a good idea to drill a hole in the steering lever and swivel shaft.

Sorry about that.

Rick

Bravo.gif

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

I would deffinately try tightening the bolt in the steering arm first. That's unusal it would be loose on the steering arm and not the gimble ring. Usually they will loosen in the aluminum gimble ring first.

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't recommend that. ESPECIALLY if the threads of the bolt are in shear.......never a good idea. I guess you can try to use a shoulder bolt, but that's still a lot of material being removed from the steering lever, in a high stress section of the part.
I would do a method of drilling or cutting an access hole/port out of the gimbal housing, and replace the steering lever and use a JR Marine (stainless steel) Upper Swivel Shaft.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I would deffinately try tightening the bolt in the steering arm first. That's unusal it would be loose on the steering arm and not the gimble ring. Usually they will loosen in the aluminum gimble ring first.

My gimbal ring was a little loose (it's been replaced) and now there's a little play csaused by the steering lever. Next time I have it apart, the level will be changed.

My boat has the Merc threaded plug kit and a JR Marine cover plate modification. Changing the gimbal ring or steering lever without removing the engine is very easy on my boat. If you can only do one mod, the JR marine kit is best, but having 3 access holes is awesome.

Cummins_12v

Recruit

Hello guys, today i changed the bolt that goes true the steeringarm and tightened it pretty good:) now i got the slack down to under 1 inch and im satisfied wity that for now :)

joncrisler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My gimbal ring was a little loose (it's been replaced) and now there's a little play csaused by the steering lever. Next time I have it apart, the level will be changed.

My boat has the Merc threaded plug kit and a JR Marine cover plate modification. Changing the gimbal ring or steering lever without removing the engine is very easy on my boat. If you can only do one mod, the JR marine kit is best, but having 3 access holes is awesome.

Can you provide more info on that JR Marine mod you mentioned above ?

45Auto

Commander

See their website here.

http://www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm

I used their cover plate when I had to replace my gimbal ring 3 years ago, it works great.

When you call, you'll be talking directly to Ron Bender (R in JR Marine) - he's a great guy and very helpful.