How to mount a 33C Shift Cable on a Mercruiser Shifter

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a Formula with a 1986 Merc 350/Alpha one. I just replaced the shifter/throttle and had to switch to 33C cables. I purchased an adapter kit from teleflex that allows the 33C cable to work with the mercruiser shift assembly. Unfortunately this adapter kit is made entirely of plastic and the housing that holds the cable is not very strong. When I used the boat today I tried to shift into forward, shifted fine, but I could not get out of forward gear. I managed to pull hard enough on the shifter to get it out of gear and went to the back to start looking around. I noticed that as I tried to shift from forward to neutral, the cable was slipping out of the plastic housing. I managed to secure it with some gorilla tape so I could use the boat for the afternoon, but now I am home and it's time to look for a real solution. Does anyone know of a stronger adapter kit, or another way of mounting the cable to the shift assembly? Preferably something with metal instead of plastic.. Thanks in advance.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to mount a 33C Shift Cable on a Mercruiser Shifter

The new shifter I bought only accepts 33C cables.