trim limit and trim senders

zx9rstv

Seaman
Another question but different from my last post.
While replacing the gimbal stuff I also replaced the 2 senders on both sides of the housing on both outdrives with Sierra trim kits. The old ones wires were corroded and broken. My trim switch on the throttle would allow me to trim down but not up. Plus the trim sender didnt work either. So now onto my questions. After doing some research on rewiring these things because the sierra directions suck asphalt. I figured the trim limit switch was hooked up to the brown/white wire and the black wire. The trim sender hooks up to the purple and blue wires. On my port motor the trim switch works now as it should. Allowing me to trim up to the limit. However the starboard motor does not work. Still only allowing me to trim down but can't trim up unless I use the trailer switch. I'm pretty positive I got these things wired correctly. What else should I check. Also on these Sierra trim sender there isn't anything to mark which wire goes to blue and which 1 goes to purple. There are even a positive and negative marking on the new wires except a triple ridge running the length of 1 and white print on the other. But nothing in the directions on which wire is positive and negative. Also is the purple wire for the sending unit the positive on the harness?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim limit and trim senders

dosent matter, limit switch is metal contacts.

cr2k

Captain

Adjust the TL switch?

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same issue. I just had to adjust the trim limit switch by turning it to allow the trim up to work. (the switch just serves to open the circuit to prevent the outdrive from tilitling up to far) Then there is a specification on how to set up the switch. Basically you measure the ram extension and adjust the switch untill the extension dimension is reached. I thought mine on a Alpha 1 gen II was 20.75" from center to center from the mounting eyes.

matthysone

Seaman Apprentice

As bt doctur said it doesn't matter as the trim limit is simply a switch, open or closed. unplug the trim limit wires and try putting in a jumper where the trim limit wires plug in and then trim up. If it works the problem is with the trim limit switch and/or its leads. If it doesn't trim up the problem is else where in the circuit. Also be sure you don't have the trim sender leads and the trim limit leads in the wrong connection locations.

zx9rstv

Seaman

OK figured out that the trim switch at the helm won't trim up unless BOTH the trim gauge sender and limit switch are hooked up. If the trim gauge sensor isn't hooked up then the trim switch won't properly work even though the limit sender is hooked up properly