Looking at a boat to buy: Blazer 4.3 instead of Mercruiser

tarip

Cadet
Looking at a boat that has a GM 4.3 from a Blazer installed because the Mercruiser engine was trashed. They said they paid $3k to have it professionally installed and converted. I know one difference is the cam and head gaskets are different, but i guess my main question is this a boat to walk away from? Or will it be alright? Just makes me nervous that they did not install an OEM motor in the boat. Thanks for the help!

Bryan76

Seaman
Re: Looking at a boat to buy: Blazer 4.3 instead of Mercruiser

What is it and yr just bought one like that with the same engine and mine spun a bearing but i got a KILLER deal so with a reman and me doing the work im still way below nada so if it runs good and go by nada buy it

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

depends on how it was done.
would I walk away from a boat because the short block is from a Blazer? no

I'm sure Rapido and other reputable rebuilders use mostly truck cores for marine engines.
It's the use of marine correct bolt-ons and conscientious labour that will determine if it runs great, or is a nautical disaster.

The next boat you look at may have a Blazer short block too,
and you won't know if no one tells you

My boat has a Chevy V6 crate block that was destined for a car.

tarip

Cadet

The boat is an 1989 Winner 17' open bow. Seems to look like a nice boat all around. They are asking $3900 for it. Like I said earlier, the motor transplant is what worries me the most.

Bondo

Staff member

Like I said earlier, the motor transplant is what worries me the most.

Ayuh,... As noted above,... It's a Non-issue, if done right...