Choices...rebuild card or have timing set

Sea Buzzard

Cadet
I have a 2006 4.3 Mercruiser with a Mercarb on it. It does not want to hit WOT and backfires through the carb and wants to die when advancing the throttle, unless I do it extrememly slow up to about 2500. It is very responsive after that. I can afford to either rebuild the carb, or take it and get the timing set. Which one is the best option?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Choices...rebuild card or have timing set

How can you be sure that one of those is your problem? If they both need to be done, fixing one problem without fixing the other is useless. You could purchase or borrow a timing light and do it yourself, and you can also purchase a rebuild kit for your carb. Doing the work yourself will make it much more affordable.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 2006 4.3 Mercruiser with a Mercarb on it. It does not want to hit WOT and backfires through the carb and wants to die when advancing the throttle, unless I do it extrememly slow up to about 2500. It is very responsive after that. I can afford to either rebuild the carb, or take it and get the timing set. Which one is the best option?

Ayuh,... Your symptoms say it's a fuel delivery issue...

Probably the Carb...

Sea Buzzard

Cadet

I can not find the procedures to set the timing. I have done it many times on a car, but on the boat there is not tab with degree marks to set it by. I will be rebuilding the carb, but I may have to take it some where to get the timing set.