Rebuilt engine with 30 hrs on it, has been sitting since 2009 and wont start.

cdvfisherman

Recruit
I am a commercial fisherman in Alaska. I am not a gearhead or much of a mechanic. I have recently bought a commercial fishing gillnetter. It has a 454 gas Mercruiser in board with a rebuilt outdrive. I topped off all fluids and put 5 gallons of new gas in it. Batteries are fully charged. It turns over but wont fire up. I was thinking that there has been condensation in the gas tanks. Can i get any suggestions on how i can get this boat running ASAP so i can get out there and fish.

Thanks

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rebuilt engine with 30 hrs on it, has been sitting since 2009 and wont start.

With the information provided, the faster you hire a mechanic, the faster you'll be fishing.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuilt engine with 30 hrs on it, has been sitting since 2009 and wont start.

If there was condensation in the gas tank, the water separator may be filled. Try changing it - remove the old filter, fill the new one with some fresh gas before you put it on, and crank the motor again. Also if there was any old gas in the tank the carb may need a rebuild. I'd also pull a plug and check for spark to rule out any electrical problems. Good luck