Ford 302 or GM 250

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to buy a Starcraft Chieftain.

I am looking at one with the ford 302 V8 and one with the GM 250 (inline 6).Which is the better way to go engine wise and why?

The Chieftain with the ford 302 is 24' and the one with the GM 250 is 21".

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ford 302 or GM 250

Howdy,

well, it depends on what you want in a boat....I would want the larger boat for more room.

Both engines are obsolete but most (wear) parts are available for both.

If I HAD to have a Starcraft and I was going to restore it, I would get the larger one and plan on a future repower to a MUCH newer 5.7/6.2 etc EFI engine and a Bravo III drive.....

There's probably other stuff to consider..........

Cheers,

Rick

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will you be able to fit in a 21 inch boat? Get the bigger boat!

Seriously.. I like my Ford 302... but others will have their own opinions. Obviously concern, is which (boat and motor) is in better shape.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Of course V-8 over 6 cylinder. Just depends on what you want to do? My 1986 Seaswril 16' 302 Ford, OMC outdrive has done everything I needed it to do. Fish, ski, tube or just cruising around with wife and kids. The 6 cylinder will or at least should be more fuel efficient, but wont have the hp the V-8 has. I am not knocking a 6 cylinder, for I had one in a 22' Grady White and it took me to Catalina Island and back to Newport/Balboa many a time. (SHUSH) still wish I had it, but to big to pull it 49 miles each way to the lake every weekend. Just for thought, You can make as much hp with a ford as with any GM, it just takes more $.

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat with the Ford 302 was parked in 1996 and has not been started since then. The owner says that it ran well when he parked it and that he winterized it as well as lubricated the cylinders. This boat has set out in the weather since then and will have to be redone. The motor may or may not start up.

The boat with the GM 250 ran well last year but has not been started since then. I can turn the motor over but can not start it. The compresssion is good. The front of this boat was submerged when the Mississippi flood earlier this year. The electronics at the helm were under water but not the motor. This boat needs some restoration but the transome and floor are in good shape.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

The first season after you buy the 21 footer, you'll wish you had the 24 footer, more room.
The 302, in great condition, will be huffin' and puffin' to move a 24 footer, add in the weight of people, fuel and gear.
The 21 footer should move better, the six cylinder probably has more torque. Three feet shorter and only 13 horsepower less.
Most seller's will say, "It ran great the last time it was started!"
From your description, I hope you aren't planning on boating this season.
Put a piece of paper with the engine/length of each boat on the wall, back up ten paces, close your eyes, throw a dart!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just for thought. Find simular boats on the water and ask if you can go for a ride, most people will be happy too. Then you can determine what you like best.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

this is in Mercruiser forum, so assuming both have Mercruiser drives, buy the one that looks like this:
boat623.jpg

avoid the one that looks like this:
3k03m93pd5V55Y35T4b5l7bd317cf3a331e20.jpg

seriously...either engine is fine - worry more about condition than specs.

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan on restoring the boat this year as well as go boating this season. I have a Starcraft 18'offshore V and a 21'Ilander that are in good shape.

The 24' boat weighs approx. 2900 lbs. and the 22' 1750 lbs.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Neither boat sounds like a good deal. I would pick the inline six myself, not because I own one. But because in design and in real testements the inline is more durable and certainly easier to work on.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

There is clearly more to consider than the engines when one buys a boat but that said, I really like the inline six and in a light aluminum 21ft boat it will perform like a champ. Economical, simple, easy to work on, reliable and proven, the inline 6 is truly an excellent marine engine.

kilowatts

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

You have alot to consider other than the motors. I am the owner of a 1986 21' cheiftain, so far ran the boat hundreds of hours.
Both motors if they are sound are good motors. I would be leary of the one that was sunk. A used boat is a used boat. I can tell you there is alot of wood to rot in a Cheiftain. mine had a rotten transmon, floor, and other. (replaced it all)
How is the trailer?
Does the trailers have brakes?
my 21' weight on the axles is 4,100 lbs fully loaded.
Is the 24' too big for your use? I wish I had the 24' because I ocean fish.
The v-8 will not be economical for trolling but if you have a kicker motor then the v-8 should be acceptable if you keep your foot out of the throttle.

My 21' has the 4 cylinder version of the 250, 140hp iron duke. It will run top speed of 28mph with 4 pobs, full of fuel, kicker motor, lots of fishing gear. I can run 10 miles, troll for 5-6 hrs or more and go through about 10 gallons of gas, motor running 6-8hrs none stop. Rough seas I get about 2mpg flat nice seas at 20 mph I get about 4 mpg.
Trolling the little 4 sips fuel.
My grandpa had a 4 cylinder in a 18' boat then moved to a 23' with the 250 motor and he claims he burnt 1/3 more fuel with the 6, but he also had a bigger boat. Both where fiberglass. He ran these boats hundreds and hundreds of hours commercial fishing.
Look at michigan motoz for engine prices, both engines are easy to keep running because parts should still be easy to come by.
Any specific ?'s about a cheiftain send me a PM.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

The 24' boat weighs approx. 2900 lbs. and the 22' 1750 lbs.
wow.. the 22' one will have a lot better power to weight ratio - everything else being equal, it would be my choice.

24' has 15.3 lbs/hp =not bad
22' has 10.6 lbs/hp =rocketship - probably be a pretty good ski/wakeboard boat