Weird Event - Stuck Float!?

Mark Jones

Cadet
My 1989 - 4.3XL was running great and the family and I were enjoying a great day on the lake. Boat traffic was heavy out in the main body of the lake where we hit a pretty good wave and the boat died when it impacted the water. (no water entered the boat) It would not restart. I checked the kill switch and everything electrical at the dash. I lifted the engine hatch and heard what sounded like a water trickle. I smelled gas and noticed some standing on top of the intake. I pulled off the flame arrester and fuel was dumping into the carb (quadrajet). I quickly disconnected the fuel line to stop the flow of fuel as it was really dumping a lot of fuel into carb.

When the flow of fuel stopped, I reconnected the line and tried to restart the engine. It began to dump fuel into the carb again. I disconnected the fuel line?removed the carb?drained all of the fuel from the carb?gave it a few taps to ensure the float was not stuck..mounted the carb back and it restarted. Had to give it WOT as it was flooded, but it started up and ran fine the remainder of the day and the next two days without issue.

Was the issue a struck float in the carb and if so, why did it continue to siphon?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Weird Event - Stuck Float!?

Was the issue a struck float in the carb and if so, why did it continue to siphon?

Depending on what type fuel pump the system is using, a minimum of 4-7 psi after the pump.
Until the pressure is gone, fuel will flow.

Mark Jones

Cadet

I could understand the flow of fuel if it had an electric fuel pump and the switch was turned on....but I have a mechanical pump. It dumped more than just what was in the fuel bowl so it had to be continuing to pull fuel. Don't understand the siphon effect b/c the carb is the highest point.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have ever cracked the fuel line loose from a carb after shutting it off, you will find gas squirting out of the line for a few seconds till the pressure bleeds off. That is normal with mechanical fuel pumps.

Mark Jones

Cadet

Well...thanks guys...I guess that had to be it. Guess my next questions would be...what can I do to prevent this issue from happening again? How can I keep the float from sticking. This is a newly rebuilt carb. Or...was this just a freak event that I shouldn't worry about?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you don't know what actually caused the needle valve to stick, it's going to be really tough to say how to prevent it. Have you replaced the filter in the fuel pump?
If your engine doesn't have a water separating fuel filter, you might consider installing one between the fuel pump and tank.

Mark Jones

Cadet

Yes, the filter in the fuel pump is new this season and I do have a fuel/water separator installed with a new filter.

The carb was rebuilt last season; however, I do suspect the carb may still have issues. Althought the boat starts and runs great, it does run a bit rich and I can't seem to lean it out without it falling on it's face.

For a typical carb rebuilt, does the float get replaced? Should I have it rebuilt again and have it replaced?

bridweezul

Cadet

when you adjust the carb you say it dies? Have you checked all the vacume hose and inlets? also, you may have a screw that wasn't tightened properly that may be hindering your carb.

CobiaXL

Banned

Id recheck float level and make sure no dirt in laying in bottom of bowl.Pull needle and seats and visually check them with a flash light to make sure they are closing tight.Also if have neoprene floats replace them with brass floats.Sounds like a piece of dirt was the culprit.

Bondo

Staff member

It dumped more than just what was in the fuel bowl so it had to be continuing to pull fuel.

Ayuh,... Gasoline is alittle like yer own Blood...
A little bit, Looks like a Whole Lot of it....

what can I do to prevent this issue from happening again?

Rebuild it again, 'n install a new needle, 'n seat, 'n float...

Mark Jones

Cadet

Talked with Guaranteed Carburetors who supplied my rebuilt carb last year. Since it is less than 12 months old, they said they would take care of replacing the needle, seat and float. We'll see how that goes.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The same thing happened to me a couple years ago, I had to get a tow in off the lake, got the carb fixed, Just so you are aware you might want to check your oil, as mine was flooded with gas, you dont want to run the engine with gas in the oil. Just something to look into.

Mark Jones

Cadet

Thanks gshldon! Just pulled the dip stick and is was a quart high very thin and it smelled like gas. Crap...I just changed it right before this happened. Oh well..it's a BOAT...Bust Off Another Thirty!!