Will this distributor work with my engine?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello,

I have a 1986 Merc 260/Alpha One with a thunderbolt IV ignition system. I posted earlier today because it wasn't working and I went through the troubleshooting and found that I need a new ignition amplifier. The part is around $460 from Mercruiser and I found $380 elsewhere. I found a site that claims to sell full systems for much cheaper. I am looking to see if this distributor will work with my engine:

http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm

Has anyone used these before? If so, how do you set it up? Thanks in advance.

greg82255

Re: Will this distributor work with my engine?

I should mention that the one I am looking at is part # M12720 for $319. A brand new ignition system for much less than adding a single part to and old system.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like the way to go

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I would buy a used one... They're not to hard to find for somewhere between 75 and 150 depending on details...

greg82255

I have also heard that Thunderbolt IV is a great system. However if I buy a used one I run the risk of having the same thing happen to me over again. I'd like to get something that is guaranteed going to work, and it looks like this would work, assuming it fits my engine..

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing is gauranteed... In fact, I've had far less trouble with tbolt iv ignitions than with any other ignition I've used in bikes, cars, boats, etc... It's one of the most reliable performance ignitions around and a bargain at what you can get used parts for.

btw. check your pms, I sent you a link to a used one on a board that I often buy used parts off of... I've never been "screwed" by someone there...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Kind of a big step backwards if you ask me.
Mechanical advance ???? Weights and springs again. From the looks of things, you don't get full advance till you hit 7000 rpm.
Does it work with a shift interrupt switch system? Nothing in any of the specs that even mentions a shift interrupt. Will shorting the ignition to ground do any damage to the unit?

greg82255

Don, all are very valid questions. I missed the part about weights and springs - I don't think I want to deal with that. If I were set on buying a new part instead of a used one, do you think it would it make more sense to go wtih an MSD setup for around the same price of a new mercruiser ignition amplifier? I can buy an MSD kit with a control box, coil, wires and distributor from cpperformance for $599, or a new ready-to-run MSD distributor for $399:

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-264-billet-marine-distributor-ignition-system-chevy-v8.aspx

Does this one make sense? I'll obviously have to call and make sure it works with shift interrupt as well.

Don S

If you want to change distributors, get something you can troubleshoot later, and readily get parts for.
Everyone keeps coming up with MSD, and I haven't seen anything that tells me they work with the shift interrupt system.
What is wrong with the EST, something like this. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-119.html
There is all kinds of repair and troubleshooting info available right here at iboats, instead of the non existent info from MSD

greg82255

I didn't think to look at other brands - MSD is the only one I knew about. I really like the one you just showed me, and I like the price much better than MSD. So you are saying that I can completely remove the thunderbolt system and replace it with this system, and it has all the parts to make it work? If so, I'll go ahead and order it.

Don S

So you are saying that I can completely remove the thunderbolt system and replace it with this system, and it has all the parts to make it work?
Yes ...
You will have to do some rewiring of the shift interrupt system, but that's not a big deal. You would also have to set the timing using the procedure shown for the Merc 3.0L engine that uses the EST distributor, but that's not a big deal either.
It will sure make your life easier.

greg82255

Thanks Don, I called Michigan Motorz and asked them for all the details. They explained how the shift interrupt is wired to the system, and they also said that they provide instructions for the step-by-step process for installing and configuring the ignition, so I ordered it on the spot. Should be here in a few days. I'll re-post once if its done (or if I have problems).

Don S

When you do get your parts, could you scan the instructions and email me a copy? I would like to see what they say for future use.

greg82255

Yea, of course. I assume I can I attach files in a PM?

Don S

No, but I will send you my email address, then they can be big enough to see.

greg82255

Alright. I'll let you know when they get here and when I have scanned the instructions.

mrchev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks don s for the link for those kits. good thing to have if i have a problem with mine. and there not that far from me.

greg82255

I decided to ship the kit overnight. Got it in the mail this morning, spent the last 3 hours installing it, and the boat runs perfect. I followed all the steps to set the timing and it was rather easy. Unfortunately I lost another beautiful day. Going boating tomorrow.

One thing about the instructions - I didn't see any directions for connecting the shift interrupt for a Mercruiser. It appears to only have directions for OMC motors. Don, PM me with your email address and I'll get you the instructions. It's 7 pages total.