burning out starter

defective1

Cadet
i have a mercrusier 888 ford 302 for some reason i keep burning out starters i have gone thru all the wiring (i think i got it all) and checked for propper routing and for shorts everthing looked good and right (going by wiring diagram)so replaced starter and selenoid turned over 3 times fine then went to start it a fourth and starter is fried any suggestions would help ?

defective1

Cadet
Re: burning out starter

no i havent dissasmbled was planning on doing that tonight but on bench test theres no go

defective1

Cadet

almost wondering if its ignition switch perhaps not sure how tho before rebuild had no issues so im assuming its somthing i did or missed although if gone thru every wire in the harness and dont seee anything missed or otherwise

defective1

Cadet

have all the starters still gonna look into dissasembly tonight and find out

defective1

Cadet

would wiring the selenoid cause this cause it seems i have the power in from the battery to the s side and the power out to starter on the i side which is opposite to the wiring diagram ?and after dissasembly of starter theres no obvious burn marks and i have no volt meter to check coil or armature but when bench tested it sparks so gotta be a dead short somewhere could bad ground cause this maybe ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since none of us where there to hear it, could it be that the starter didn't disengage and was spinning while the engine was running?

defective1

Cadet

what i ment by sparked on the bench is at the ground point on the battery.one starter is marine and the other is automotive till i get the marine rebuilt and yes i have a manual and going to pickup a new volt meter today as my old one not working.but seeing as the marine starter was working fine before i redid head gaskets i assume its either a short in the wiring harness which ive gone thru completly and besides the sel being backwards is all right and no burnt or or frayed wires or a ground issue cause the marine starter never did turn over when i installed it and the sel was dead as well so i got a new marine sel and a auto starter turned over 3 times with no start and that was that (gonna have to get that volt meter i know)

defective1

Cadet

sel- solenoid sry anyway look like it was a battery prob gotta it worked out now must of been causing some weird ground issue now just gotta tune the carb and dial in the timing and im going fishing lol. thx for the effort on the help tho guys.