3.0 Mercruiser Alternator Belt Replacement

lucky2002

Recruit
I have a 3.0 Mercruiser in my bayliner. My alternator belt broke over the weekend. I went to advanced auto and picked up the correct belt. I tried replacing yesterday by taking the engine mounts off on the port side and got the belt thru but the engine mount in the front is in the way to pull the belt over. I seen on here to take off the pulley and tried doing this with wrench but the bolts are on too tight. Any suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 Mercruiser Alternator Belt Replacement

attachment.php

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is that Don #3 since Sunday? Im starting to think you keep a shortcut to this post in your pocket. Good info though.

lucky2002

Recruit

Thanks for the info. I got it changed new belt on.

Bondo

Staff member

What is that Don #3 since Sunday? Im starting to think you keep a shortcut to this post in your pocket. Good info though.

Ayuh,... I think he's got it on an iphone app....:eek:

Don's probably layin' in a nice comffy bilge, postin' this stuff....:D

muelled

Recruit

I had the same problem, as have others. Apparently Bayliner installed the engine too low in its mounts. i did not want to go the route of raising the engine as I felt this could put the drive shaft out of line and result in a small problem becoming a big one. The solution was to remove two adjacent teeth on the belt and then force it between the pulley and engine mount. It works, and runs OK, but I don't know for how long. However I did take care to remove only the rubber, and none of the fabric. If it failed my next step was to remove about 1/4" from the front edge of the pulley to provide clearance. I would have used a sawzall, angle grinder, or in a pinch, a hack saw. No reason it should not work. good luck. hat a miserable way to design the belt system, and have to remove a spacer. i had to do this because the alternator was seized after storage and the belt burnt out. I could not remove the alternator, because the bolts would turn but not unthread. I think the aluminum alternator housing bosses must have corroded around the steel bolts. In the end I was able to free the alternator shaft by turning on the shaft bolt until it budged and applied a liberal amount of oil, hoping to hit the bearings. No further problems so far.

Bondo

Staff member

I had the same problem, as have others. Apparently Bayliner installed the engine too low in its mounts. i did not want to go the route of raising the engine as I felt this could put the drive shaft out of line and result in a small problem becoming a big one. The solution was to remove two adjacent teeth on the belt and then force it between the pulley and engine mount. It works, and runs OK, but I don't know for how long. However I did take care to remove only the rubber, and none of the fabric. If it failed my next step was to remove about 1/4" from the front edge of the pulley to provide clearance. I would have used a sawzall, angle grinder, or in a pinch, a hack saw. No reason it should not work. good luck. hat a miserable way to design the belt system, and have to remove a spacer. i had to do this because the alternator was seized after storage and the belt burnt out. I could not remove the alternator, because the bolts would turn but not unthread. I think the aluminum alternator housing bosses must have corroded around the steel bolts. In the end I was able to free the alternator shaft by turning on the shaft bolt until it budged and applied a liberal amount of oil, hoping to hit the bearings. No further problems so far.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Yer alittle over a year late for this conversation,...

please don't post in the archives,... Thank you....

May 31st, 2011, 05:21 PM