Milkshake!!!

johnnyrich10

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I recently aquired a 1983 Chapperral 198 xlc with a mercruiser 260. it had been sitting in open storage for 2+ years un winterized. 2 of the freeze plugs where popped, so i reinstalled new ones, drained and put in new gas. started and ran it for about 5 min. no leaks ect.... i turn around for a second then look back and there was milkshake spuing out all over the engine from the carb i think. Does this automaticly mean cracked block? the engine sounded and ran fine while running and i shut it down after i noticed the milkshake? No chance it could be a head gasket ?????? :facepalm:

Thanks for any help

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Milkshake!!!

I'm not a seasoned marine mechanic, but unless you live on the equator, I'm guessing chances are 95% that it is cracked. You won't know till ya start digging. Good luck.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just wondering, did you drain and replace the oil and the filter as well as the gas? It wasnt stated that you did so just wondering

Bondo

Staff member

Does this automaticly mean cracked block?

Automatically,... Naw....
But,...
With yer backstory about it,...

Ayuh,... I'm bettin' she's Split, Wide Open somewhere...

johnnyrich10

Seaman Apprentice

Just wondering, did you drain and replace the oil and the filter as well as the gas? It wasnt stated that you did so just wondering

no i did not :( I read somewhere that i should let it run then drain.

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

even tho it sounds like a cracked engine, for a boat sitting 2 yrs plus, the oil should have been changed as you may have gotten water in there, I know if i dont change mine in the spring i get some condesation that builds up, so i just change it and all is good for the year. Just my 2 cents worth.

bridweezul

Cadet

I recently went throug the same issues with my boat. I purchased it, changed the oil, then checked valves. When I did the oil turned into mocha coffee.
I pulled the head and found a nice little hairline crack next to a valve. $411 dollars later my engine is running smooth and has given up coffe for the time being.

johnnyrich10

Seaman Apprentice

I recently went throug the same issues with my boat. I purchased it, changed the oil, then checked valves. When I did the oil turned into mocha coffee.
I pulled the head and found a nice little hairline crack next to a valve. $411 dollars later my engine is running smooth and has given up coffe for the time being.

what did you have done where it was that cheap? Just a new block?

johnnyrich10

Seaman Apprentice

Gotcha, sorry missed that part, I plan on getting in there this weekend, fingers crossed its the head, I am expecting it to be the block though with my luck. I have been doiing a little research on it but still have tons of questions. If its the block i can just replace with a chevy 350 small block? as long as I change the cam and bolt my other parts to it? I was told my exhaust manifold would prob not fit because the mercruiser 260 is a ford engine and they connect differant then chevys..... is that true?

Bondo

Staff member

I was told my exhaust manifold would prob not fit because the mercruiser 260 is a ford engine and they connect differant then chevys..... is that true?

Ayuh,... Whomever you were talkin' to, don't know what they're talkin' about...

It's a 350 Chevy... Think pickup truck motor....