302 / 888 #1 cyl?

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys..im sure I can track this down but just don't have tons of time. Im installing a new distributor ... and I hear conflicting stories... where is #1 cylinder? thanks

also..any great tips for installing distributor for the disturbed engine? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 302 / 888 #1 cyl?

Find #1TDC like this http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427081

Then install distributor.

The below information is from the OEM service manual.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• firing order.jpg
    firing order.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
  • specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also noteworthy... the 302/888 has 351W heads (hence 351W firing order). I've head (but can't confirm) that the 351W distributor will not fit the 302 block, so make sure you get a 302 distriibutor (marine of course). As described above, rotate crank to 0 deg TDC for the compression stroke (you might be able to fit your pinky into the spark plug hole and feel the piston). Look at your cap and see if it has a mark for #1 and use that to reference #1, otherwise pick one. With the distributor off the engine, fit the cap on the distributor, and mark the spot on the distributor that roughly coresponds to #1 from the cap. Move the rotor to the #1 mark on the distributor. Drop the distributor into the block with the rotor/#1 mark pointing to the #1 cylinder to ease wire routing. As you drop the distributor into the engine, the part of the distro that engages the oil pump probably wont be aligned. Turn the engine over by hand a bit (shouldn't be more than 1/8 turn or so) and the distro will drop in all the way. Connect the plug wires in the correct firing order (13726548) courterclockwise when looking down at the engine. Start the engine, and adjust the base timing with a timing light.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks for the info guys. The replacement distributor is an autolite marine that was previously in a 302/888 for another boat a year older so its good. I was asking because when I dropped it in and fired it up it really didn't do much...but it did give me a bang or two. I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Also noteworthy... the 302/888 has 351W heads (hence 351W firing order).

I think the camshaft will dictate the firing order of the engine, not the cylinder heads.

Something to remember, on V8 engines, looking from either side of the engine, one of the cylinder heads is forward of the other.
In other words, the leading edge of both cylinder heads are not equal in relation to the block, one is forward. That cylinder head always has the number one cylinder on both Ford and GM V8s.

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The camshaft will determine the correct firing order, how he hooks the plugs to the distro cap will determine his firing order.

Bottom line, the Mercruiser 188 (302/888) has 351W firing order, and #1 cylinder is starboard/forward.