no oil pressure

m8kinulook

Cadet
have a 00 stingray with 5.0 merc. efi 240hp with alpha 1. just picked boat up a week ago and ran it with muffs for 10 mins with no problems. well this weekend took it to the lake backed it off the trailer and started to head out when i noticed it started knocked when i tried to throttle it . then alarm went off and noticed no oil pressure. **** it off checked everything. restarted it and at idle its fine but no oil pressure so i tried once again to throttle it noticed it tried to jump up to 20psi but just didnt have any power and started knocking again so i brought it back to idle and loaded it up. now its time to figure out whats wrong. recently serviced at dealership so oil and filters are fine i so no leaks . my guess is oil pump or pick up tube. any thoughts?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: no oil pessure

I would be looking further into it. IE: bearings.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Did you actually check the dipstick? Mechanics have been known to make mistakes. If the level checks out, pull the drive and attach a mechanical oil pressure guage, crank it over for a few seconds, see of the knocking stops and if it shows oil pressure. Still knocking and no pressure? Pull the engine to disassemble and see what happened.

m8kinulook

Cadet

checked oil, everything is fine. but remember no knocking at idle .

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just incase, you want to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge to verify what the oil pressure really is. And if it all possible, use one that is oil filled. Will be more accurate.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Pray its your oil pump.

When my oil pressure dropped in my supra, the cause was rod/main bearings. You said no knock at idle but mine didnt either... rod knock is most predominately heard at 2000-2500 rpm.... or while feathering the throttle.

If its knocking and has oil, im gonna venture and say your rod bearings are bad.

m8kinulook

Cadet

Pray its your oil pump.

When my oil pressure dropped in my supra, the cause was rod/main bearings. You said no knock at idle but mine didnt either... rod knock is most predominately heard at 2000-2500 rpm.... or while feathering the throttle.

If its knocking and has oil, im gonna venture and say your rod bearings are bad.

ouch....got a oil filled mech gauge will be testing it tonight and going from there.
can anyone tell me how to read the codes on this boat or what scanner to use?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is all the oil sensor does is detect that there is oil pressure. The reality is, 12lbs oil pressure is all thats needed @ idle. However, check with gauge and let us know.

fixit12

Recruit

From the sounds of things, your looking at pulling an engine. You saw 0 oil pressure too many times and heard knocking too many times to not have internal damage. Without a teardown and look see your problem won't change. It's not the thing you like to hear but..... keep us posted.

m8kinulook

Cadet

From the sounds of things, your looking at pulling an engine. You saw 0 oil pressure too many times and heard knocking too many times to not have internal damage. Without a teardown and look see your problem won't change. It's not the thing you like to hear but..... keep us posted.

will do thanks everyone ! ill keep yall updated!

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It would be bad if you pull the engine only to find out you had bad ujoints and a shaky electrical sensor...just sayin..

m8kinulook

Cadet

well its rod bearings....so now the question is do i buy a complete motor and just drop it in or rebuild this one...

Brewman61

Ensign

Your call. If it were me, I'd get estimates on both, and decide from there. Parts and labor on a rebuild vs a new(er) engine.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

well its rod bearings....so now the question is do i buy a complete motor and just drop it in or rebuild this one...

Sorry to hear, i figured thats what it was. I would buy a new engine (reman) personally. It was hell when my bearings went out. Its not just pulling the entire engine, is machine work to your crank that has to be done, down to minute tolerances and the bearings need to fit perfectly. Its a LOT of work.....and takes a LONG time. Annnnnd if the shop doesn't do it right, you're looking at it starting to knock again really soon. Happened to me, and my friend and we went to different shops.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That 1 is full of ground up bearings...

I'd go with a new long block myself...

m8kinulook

Cadet

so wheres the best places to find a replacment? and should i jump up from a 305 to a 350 being its efi? and if so will all my electronics work with the new 350?

Bondo

Staff member

so wheres the best places to find a replacment? and should i jump up from a 305 to a 350 being its efi? and if so will all my electronics work with the new 350?

Ayuh,... That's the Problem, it's Efi...

No boostin' the Power, without a new 'Puter...

If it were carbed, goin' with a 350 would be No Problem...
383 Stroker if ya wanted too...

m8kinulook

Cadet

Ayuh,... That's the Problem, it's Efi...

No boostin' the Power, without a new 'Puter...

If it were carbed, goin' with a 350 would be No Problem...
383 Stroker if ya wanted too...

ah i was affraid of that...that sucks...so guess its remain/new 305 for me...
chime in someone on some good places to get a long block?