How to lift an engine properly?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I got my 165 inline six out of the parts boat very quick. Like 20 minutes! But I cut a section of the boat out that allowed me to literally lift it straight up. I used a forklift and a chain.

If I did not want to cut the boat all up, how would you even dream of lifting that engine straight? Im sure I will need to pull another someday and was just curious.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How to lift an engine properly?

As per Mercruiser Service Manual Number 3, page 2A-1:
8. Support engine with suitable sling thru lifting eyes on engine and remove front and rear engine mounting bolts.

ziggy

Admiral

i'm sure every boat is different. but on mine...

only the very back of the engine is inside the boat. starting at about half the leangth of the riser. in my case. i got about an inch of straight up movement before hitting the boat. i raised the engine about half and inch up, then moved the boat back. once the engine was clear of the boat. straight up.. in this particular case. i was only R&Ring the oil pan. so the engine didn't have to come completely out of the boat.
009.jpg

011-2.jpg

that red thing sure helped too. i think it's called an engine leveler.. lets you tilt the ft or back of the engine up or down. this tool helped a lot in getting the engine in and out. in especially..

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

by whatever means possible in your particular situation. safely!

2011-05-28_15-46-28_4.jpg

2011-05-28_16-17-01_767-1.jpg