Pre alpha problem

Hello there...new to boating this year,and i have a question that needs to be answered....in other words I NEED YOUR HELP! I just bought a 1971 silverline with a 120 hp merc,with a pre alpha outdrive. I need to take my outdrive off(so i can pull out motor) and ive watched all the you tube videos, and i can not gte my outdrive to come off! I put it in forward gear all the way,removed the six nuts,removed the trim arms....but all i can get is about a half inch of seperation between the outdrive and bell housing. The only thing i can think of is tha it is stuck on the gimble bearing???? PLEASE HELP any and all advice is appreciated! THANK YOU!

JP6438

Cadet
Re: Pre alpha problem

Try a 2x4 wedged under the gimbal and drop it a couple of times. Must be frozen/corroded on the gimbal bearing. Might pull the bearing with it...

thanks jp6438......i have even tried that several times with no luck. Now im even trying a come along hooked to a tree with no luck. Im pulling so hard....im afraid my straps are gonna break! Do you have any more ideas? And if it pulls the gimbal bearing out with it....is that a mojor problem? Thanks for the help!

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi silverline,I just went this same situation earlier today,but mine was stuck from my improper instalation,i think anyways.What i did was put a chain around my outdrive,and then used a slide hammer to get it separated.Heres the link to my post,with some of the pictures i posted,plus,if you dont wanna go that route,theres a few other member who posted a few ways to try,hope this helps you http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=482229

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Now im even trying a come along hooked to a tree with no luck.
Make sure the boat is secured to the trailer, or the come along will pull the boat off the trailer.
Make sure the tow vehicle is attached to the trailer with the parking brake applied, or secure the trailer from moving.
Nylon strap around the sterndrive, chain will damage the mating surfaces.
The strap won't break, as long as it is of sufficient size and quality.
What happened to me, the gimbal bearing was greased twice a year, but the drive was never removed.
The grease came out of the bearing, through yearly greasing, and collected on both sides of the bearing, spilling on the input shaft and drying, so the imput shaft couldn't slide through the bearing. Large glob of grease, dried on the imput shaft between the bearing and the coupler. Make sure you secure the sterndrive from above, the sterndrive will shoot out like a cannon ball, KEEP CLEAR.

Thanks for everybodys input and tips! Finally got it off today,and now it looks like i need a new gimble bearing. I put my hand up in the bellow, and the bearing has some play to it. Can anybody tell me how much play is ok? From what ive heard they are kinda expensive.....but if i need one,ill get one. Gonna try and pull the engine tomorrow after work, and hopefully it is a blown out freeze plug! So keep your fingers crossed,and i will post some hopefuully good news once i pull the motor! Thanks for your tips and knowledge!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

zero play, should rotate smooth as silk
18-2100 around $50 USD

Thanks for everybodys help! I got the motor out today,and it was the freeze plug!!!!! So happy,but still need to replace the gimble bearing. Is this something the DIYer can do? And if so,is their a cheaper place on the web to get one? Again,thanks for all your tips....this site is so well put together! Talk to ya all soon!