trim wires broken at gimbal assembly

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a gimbal I am replacing but the wires for the trim have been pulled off/ separated where they enter the back of the gimbal assembly. I have found wiring diagrams but no photos to see just how the connector attaches, if it is even a connector.

The question is whether the black round rubber piece that the two wires go into is removable or are the wires somehow replaceable . There is not enough ( none ) wire protruding to reconnect.

It's a pre alpha one but seems the same as the aplha one in this respect.

Thanks in advance.

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: trim wires broken at gimbal assembly

I just had mine apart... the black rubber grommet (actually there are two semicircular halves... one on each pair or wires) is moulded onto the wire. The two halves fit in the hole between the outside and inside of the boat and a bracket compresses them to make the seal. Unless you have enough good wire close to either end of the rubber grommet to crimp new wires to, you'll need to replace the entire thing.

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trim wires broken at gimbal assembly

Thanks for the reply. The wiring I am talking about is below the steering arm on the gimbal assembly. It is just two wires and a one piece round black rubber grommet with two wires total. Also I now find myself in another dilemma. The situation is this :
The flange that holds the exhaust bellows broke off from the original unit. I have 3 other gimbal assemblies I can use.
1/. Ready to go on except the lack of wires as described above
2/. Came off a donor boat in good working order as is the drive, BUT this one has an empty casting below the exhaust and no porting ?????
3/. It's a gen 2 I guess as the unit is wider and has a different exhaust and bolting. But I do not have the in hull mounting plate.

So the question is if the wiring is super important. Is it for the trim gauge , does it limit trim level or both ?