mercruiser 470 tilt/trim issues

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Just got done installing rebuilt 470 engine, reinstalled outdrive (pre Alpha 1) after aligning gimbal bearing, and the tilt/trim is not working properly. I had removed the engine last fall, boat sat until now, and to be honest I am not 100 percent sure I wired it all back up right. Engine runs good, tilt/trim worked initially. It raised when holding both UP and OUT buttons (for trailering), and went down when pushing IN button, but it had a varying sort of winding down sound, and ceased to work. All I get is a clicking wen pushing both UP and OUT, nothing when pushing OUT or IN. Checked the little circuit breaker deal and it is fine, oil is fine. Probably a wiring diagram if possible would do the trick. Thanx in advance.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser 470 tilt/trim issues

Jason,<br /><br />Here's a wiring diagram. But it sounds like the electric motor has gone south for the duration. (she's no good, mate!)<br /><br />
watermark.php
<br /><br />If you'd like a copy give me your e-mail address and I'd be happy to send it to you.<br /><br />Chris..........

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Thanx for the diagram, its perfect. I'll print it and verify, although I have this feeling you are correct in that the motor is probably done.

Trent

Captain

Remove the motor and take apart. Clean up and install new brushes. Small electric motor repair shops in you area can also repair.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am not going to fuss with it. It is not part of the original agreement. This boat has been an albatross around me neck since last fall. Motor had puked its bearings, and against my advice the owner/my friend wanted to try just putting in new bearings and rings. I gave him a hook-a-brother up price, still telling him that having the shortblock properly machined is the only way to go. Needless to say it puked on its test run. I told him to just take it and have it rebuilt. I told him because I felt bad that I would install the rebuilt engine for him and make sure it ran good for free. He had the shortblock rebuilt and it turned into me reassembling the engine, then installing it. I refused, so he was going to have someone else do it. Needless to say the engine sat in peices in my garage through the winter, and the boat ended up at my house in early spring, and has been here ever since. There was always an excuse, so I presented a deal that would make us both feel okay about it, but it was only for reassemble, install, align gimbal, reinstall outdrive, and confirm all is well. Trim unit was not part of the deal, and I am not dealing with it. It has always been "hey, while you are at it", and that is not happening any more. Thanx for the help though, the wiring was spot on, so definately the motor was done. It had been starting to give him trouble before, so it does not surprise me...